Transport Raft from Atlanta to Missoula (or other western city: slc, spokane, etc)?? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 01-14-2013   #1

missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2000
Transport Raft from Atlanta to Missoula (or other western city: slc, spokane, etc)??

I know this is a long shot, but my raft it sitting in Atlanta, GA right now and I am in Missoula, Montana. I didn't have room for it when I moved, but I'd like to get it up here sometime in the next few months and shipping is crazy expensive.

It's a 12' Momentum bucket boat, so it only weighs about 65lbs and folds up into about a 30" cube, but it's still a few hundred to ship via UPS or freight.

I was hoping I could find someone coming from Atlanta out west to throw it in their truck or car on their way out this direction. Missoula would be ideal, but I have buddies in SLC as well and could just go pick up there. I also could snag it in Spokane, Moscow, Portland, Seattle or other such local'ish northwest city. Just about anything is closer than Atlanta.

We can sort out a fee or a barter of some sort to offset your gas a little. If you're in Missoula I'd be glad to share some raft time, or run gear for your kayak crew or something this spring in exchange.
Just let me know!!

Thanks!
-Clinton

punqroqclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013   #2

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Have you checked into shipping it via greyhound bus?
Old 01-14-2013   #3

missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Have you checked into shipping it via greyhound bus?
I didn't know they did that! Cool! I just did a quote through the website, and it is indeed pretty reasonable. $84. I may give greyhound a call and see about the details.

Do you have any personal experience with how that works and how reliable it is? Clearly I'd have to convince a buddy in Atlanta to drop it off at the bus station for me I presume.

Thanks for the tip!
punqroqclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013   #4

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I haven't done it a LONG time. It was the go-to shipping for larger items. There is some risk, don't assume it will get treated well. Pack it to prevent cuts and abrasions and I wouldn't worry about the biggest risk which is being dropped or having heavy stuff dumped on it. I would make sure it is insured, and I don't know if they will do that. Renters insurance might cover it??
Old 01-14-2013   #5

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I'm headed to a huge 4x4 event in the SoCal desert in 2.5 weeks. People headed there from all over the country. I'll be back through Missoula on the way back. I was figuring you could offer the hauler from GA $50-ish for their troubles to get it to me in the desert....so you won't be much ahead over a Greyhound haul.

It's an option, though. Let me know if I can help.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #6

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I shipped a kayak this time last year from CT to Denver via Greyhound. It's by far the cheapest method of shipping, but like is mentioned above, you are putting it in the undercarriage of a bus. Use plenty of packing material (moving blankets, heavy canvas tarp with the raft) and also have there be plenty of identifying marks on the boat itself.
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote