Trailering for long distances - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-20-2015   #1

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
Trailering for long distances

Any thoughts on having your boat with a frame on a trailer for a long distance? I'm think a 100 plus miles. It seems like there is a lot of frame on tube rubbing. I've noticed that the couple of times I've done it there is a lot of gray on the tubes. It comes off with soap and water but just thought it would be nice to here what ya'll got to say.

Sbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2015   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I trailer mine inflated & rigged all the time. Long & short distance trips. No problems in 4-5 years. Frame marks happen whether it's on the trailer or on the river. Inflatable boat cleaner & Mr. Clean Magic Eraser gets them off.
Old 09-20-2015   #3

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1976
I can't imagine doing it any other way. My boat is rigged and ready on the trailer when I leave home. We often travel several hundreds of miles to rivers. No problems thus far

Sent from my SM-G530T using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Whetstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2015   #4

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Same here often trailer 100 plus miles one way, I have decided not to get to excited about stains. Clean them off each fall.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015   #5

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
This thread has come up a few times in the last couple years. Look them up for a historical perspective. It is similar to the pins/oarlock, GC take outs, what size boat discussions...for the most part it comes down to personal preference.
Old 09-20-2015   #6

Fort Collins
In Colorado, I would just add to be mindful of your inlfation going over the passes, just remember that bag of chips in your trunck when you went over Loveland pass. I am not sure if anyone has any great ideas for how to deal with those type of pressure changes, but i would be interested to hear them.
Old 09-20-2015   #7

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
Oh cool. Thanks for everyone's responses. Sorry for wasting your time on a Sunday. shoenfeld13 ? Douche. New to the site. Sorry your so cool.
Sbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015   #8

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Inflation on the passes is a hard one for me I never really know how much to let out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbishop View Post
Oh cool. Thanks for everyone's responses. Sorry for wasting your time on a Sunday. shoenfeld13 ? Douche. New to the site. Sorry your so cool.
Wow...... Unless he edited his post you are surely the douche in this case.
nemi west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015   #10

Fort Collins
My buddy took his raft rigged over Cameron pass (10,000' and change) and by the time he got to,the top, the boat was bulging against the straps, frame and trailer. He let out some air, and by the time he was at the bottom on the other side, some of the straps were starting to fall off. That night, the temperature dropped quite a bit, and the boat as 1/2 full or less, and all the straps were hanging off loose. It made me wonder if using a cam strap looped through the d rings would be any better than the ratchet straps.