Trailer Width - 16ft boat - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-19-2019   #1
Owner: Class 5 Carvings

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Trailer Width - 16ft boat

I know there are tons of threads about trailers and sizing, but most if not all talk about length, I am fine on length, most likely will do either 12 or 14'.

My question is about width. My boat is 16'x7'8''. Almost every raft trailer out there is 7' wide, even the deck-over ones. Thinking about going custom and getting an 8' wide deck since I cannot find a stock one this wide anywhere in Colorado, there's a company in Bend, OR that does it but shipping a trailer is crazy.

It's getting pricy to have a trailer company do it, may save some money buying a utility trailer and having a local fabricator weld on a deck to it.

How crucial is an 8' deck for a boat this wide, anyone running a 16' expedition width raft on a 7' wide trailer? I don't like the idea of rubber hanging over the sides, and not sure if it even fits, but I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts that has had to deal with this.

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2019   #2

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
I see what you're saying, but not all of the tube sits on the trailer. My boat isn't as wide as yours, but on a 6' wide trailer, my 7'1" rides fine with a couple of racks modded up by a buddy of mine.
YMMV
-Thomas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180331_184153.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	711.3 KB
ID:	33131   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170620_202309.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	33133  

T.O.Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
You have 3-4 inches to spare on the sides on a 6' wide trailer? Or are those racks wider than the trailer? I assume the trailer bed is 6' wide between the wheels? So with the side racks over the wheels you probably get another 18 inches or so and looks like the platforms stick out another inch or two past the wheels. So what is your full width from the edge of your deck to the edge of the other side?

This is the 156? If not do mind telling me how long your boat is and what length trailer is that? Looks like it fits well on there.
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2019   #4

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Paul, it can be done. Having over hang that is. I recently got bigger tubes for my cat, and had to replace my deck 2x8's with 2x12's to make sure it would fit.

My logic is this - if at least the center of both tubes is on the deck(and it's secured well for travel), then you should be fine. Granted, my boat rides very high off the ground and I'm not as concerned about protection from ground debris, rocks, mud, etc.
The main negative I have found is visibility 15-20 ft behind the trailer. I try to make sure I have line of site thru the center of my cat to prevent large blind spots.
I think it boils down to what's your comfort level with it hanging over. In my case, I strap down the tubes and frame excessively so my comfort level is acceptable.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3877.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	33135  
Old 02-19-2019   #5

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
T.O.Mac, I really like the modular design of your side rails. That's a fairly easy addition to a stock trailer. I just helped a buddy add decking and stabilization to a fairly stock trailer last spring. His setup works, but I wish we'd seen your setup before hand. That looks pretty bomber.
Old 02-19-2019   #6

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
PtheK and Pirate,
Thanks...
The boat is a 156R
The decks are 18" wide, but are only 12" outside the frame of the trailer (which is 6' inside the box)
It is based on a PJ trailer, 6x12 box with the Ready Rail Attachments.
I ordered https://parts.pjtrailers.com/ready-r...k-adapter.html
and then had my friend weld up adjustable stands and weld the rollers in place.

has been great for three seasons now...just have to paint the 2x6 every couple of years.
T.O.Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
I had the exact same concern with mine. I use a converted ATV/snowmobile trailer. When I put rollers on the back I also put 8 foot 2x2s across the trailer every 3-4 feet elevated a few inches above the deck. This makes sliding the boat on a little bit easier.

Since my boat is almost exactly 8 ft wide I also spray painted the tips of the 2x2s red-ish so I could tell the exact dimensions of the boat and trailer when maneuvering - as a rookie at the time it really helped develop my spatial awareness of trailer driving.
almortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019   #8

Alpine, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2010
Snowmobile trailers are typically 8ft. wide and come in various lengths. That is what everyone I raft with uses for a trailer.
Buddha09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019   #9

Fort Collins, Colorado
Thanks guys. T.O. these adapters are pretty slick. So are the platforms that you welded up just pinned into the adapters? Can you slide the decks and the metal welded parts below the wood off your trailer easier should you need to use the trailer for another purpose?

I like this idea honestly, then if I need a utility trailer I can easily slide off the raft decks.

So with the 12'' you have outside of the stock box you effectively have 7' of width from edge to edge?
Old 02-19-2019   #10

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
TO Mac, one more compliment on that trailer. That looks quite simple and functional, I hope to put together a copy cat trailer this spring.

got any more pics?
CB Rob is offline   Reply With Quote