Trailer repair/tires/ext in Denver - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-29-2018   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Trailer repair/tires/ext in Denver

I have a great raft trailer and I have put tons of miles on this thing in the last 5 years. I have had to switch to a spare tire once and Ive replaced the hubs twice, all of this has been done road side. This year Im thinking I would like to avoid road side repairs, even though its not that hard, and just get my hubs either replaced or just checked and I need new tires all the way around. Does anyone know a good trailer repair/parts place in the Denver area? Thanks

Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2018   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
There are several trailer places out at Ward Road and I-70; you could probably get the names of the shops on Google Maps. As for the tires, you should be able to get that done at most tire shops. Just make sure they know what you need as they may not stock the particular tires.

Also, it may only be a little more $ to completely replace the entire axle assembly than to repack the bearings. I used to get my bearings repacked every year or two, then found that replacing the whole axle assembly was only about $25 more...
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018   #3

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
There are several trailer places out at Ward Road and I-70; you could probably get the names of the shops on Google Maps. As for the tires, you should be able to get that done at most tire shops. Just make sure they know what you need as they may not stock the particular tires.

Also, it may only be a little more $ to completely replace the entire axle assembly than to repack the bearings. I used to get my bearings repacked every year or two, then found that replacing the whole axle assembly was only about $25 more...
You mean hub assembly, surely.... Why replace the entire axle? It certainly would cost more than $25 bucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2018   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
It only takes basic hand tools and a jack to replace the bearings on your trailer. If you did it last year, it probably doesn't need anything more then just repacking the bearings with grease. Easily done yourself.

Any mechanic will be able to help you with that too. I'm sure anywhere that sells trailers does that kind of maintenance as well.

I still say its worth saving yourself some money and just do the work yourself though.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018   #5
ds

Pre-greased hub assembly

So for about $100 you can buy 2 pre-greased whole hub assembly replacements. Seems easier than replacing bearing, seals and repacking and I won’t have to worry about screwing it up. I know folks carry a whole hub assembly as a spare. Any reason the trailer experts on the buzz would not recommend just buying 2 new pre-greases hubs such as this from CE Smith?

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hub...h/CE13511.html
ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018   #6

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I'm assuming that is what Andy was referring to and it's a great idea. I'd hold onto the old hubs, take them apart, clean and learn about them, then put back together regreased and keep around for emergency spares.... Havning done this, you'll be familiar with what new ones vs worn ones look like AND how to repack/replace parts.
Old 04-12-2018   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 70s
Roger at Sporttrail trailers in North metro Denver has been fair and great job (loveland? I forget exact location) re my trailer and bearings/tires (doesn't do hitches)....970-690-5778
CROE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I have a couple comments, I am building a rafting trailer now from scratch and I am going to pick up the new axle today. For a 3500# 3" axle with Dexter ez-lube spindles with 5 on 4 1/2 hubs (which are the standard size for raft trailers) it will be around $280. To me it would be unnecessary to replace the whole axle unless you want one that is more durable or has the ex-lube spindles.

I re-grease mine once a year and it is easy work but kind of a mess, there is only one nut with a cotter pin that holds the assemble together. Takes about an hour to do both hubs. I highly recommend marine grease, I lost a hub once due to the grease basically failing after submerging them in the water while loading and unloading, which i don't do any more. I see a lot of people do it and it always makes me cringe watching them put a hot hub that just came off the road into that cold water. The Dexter spindle help with that because the push out the old grease and fully pack the hub so there is less room for water to get in.

The problem with buying two new hubs is they do not come with marine grease, so if that is a issue for you, you would have to repack them anyway.

I also carry a spare hub and all the tools I need to do roadside repairs. I can h press in new bearing seals and bearings or just replace the whole thing depending on what happens.

I have had a fair amount of issues with trailer hubs so I come prepared for the worst. That is why I am building my own and trying to find the best parts I can so I have a robust trailer that I don't have to worry about.

My recommendation would be to just repack them yourself, there are a bunch of YouTube videos on how to do it and use marine grease. I would only replace component is there is damage to the axle, the bearing don't roll smoothly or the races on the spindle are pitted or damages in some way.

Just my opinion though.
Old 04-12-2018   #9

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I get the logic of loaded hubs but if your races are good you're only saving about 10 mins at that point. The actual packing of bearings only takes minutes, other than that you're just avoiding driving a seal which is super easy. Trailer hubs are super low tech almost archaic compared to automotive hubs/bearings. It's pretty easy to figure out and it's good to know how to do.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote