Trailer decking/carpet...... - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-13-2015   #1
FISHTARD

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
Trailer decking/carpet......

Ive been looking and I havent quite found the "answer"

Right now Ive got a 77"x10' utility trailer that I built a deck on top of the rails using 2x4s and Treated ply wood.

The deck is a little high for my to load my heavy boat and I was looking to cover the deck with a carpet or turfcarpet so it will slide better. (a roller is a must-do very soon)

How would yall put carpet on? Glue? STaples? The problem with staples is that I can not wrap the carpet around the sides and staple underneath.... The deck comes flush with the end of the 2x4 creating gaps between the 5 2xs

I was thinking slapping some glue down and covering it? Sound easier than done?

Thanks

Advertisement

Old 06-13-2015   #2

Denver, Colorado
Would double-sided carpet tape work in this situation?
cue2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015   #3
FISHTARD

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2go View Post
Would double-sided carpet tape work in this situation?
Why tape over glue? Seems like tape would deteriorate faster and potentially have problems when water soaks through?
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2015   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Glue it and be done with it. Put more effort into getting a roller and or a winch. I haven't done this but next time I have to replace the wood decking on my trailer i'm putting on trex so I never have to think about it again.

Haven't used him but this guy has some nice photos of utility trailers he has done.

https://www.facebook.com/ArkWelding
theusualsuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015   #5

San Juan Islands, Washington
I primed and painted the deck of my trailer using Rustolium, It slides well, not too slick to walk on, and holds up well. Carpeted plywood always rots.

tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015   #6
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I used 2X6 instead of 2X4. I used urethane on each board, then wrapped with carpet and stapled. then mounted each to the top rail. (my top rail is 2X8 all the way around) been that way for at least 6 years with no issue.
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015   #7

Denver, Colorado
I wouldn't carpet. Or put anything on the deck for that matter. Anything you put there traps moisture and eventually rots the wood. Marine grade spar varnish is slick, easily sanded and reapplied and doesn't promote rot. Get the conveyor rollers for the back. I run 4 and it's almost too slick to launch. Possible to load my fully framed fishing boat single man (even easier with my 2:1 pulley system). The rollers do 5x what any surface would do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	833.0 KB
ID:	10076  
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015   #8

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Yea...I have actual shag carpet on mine from the previous owner and that's my next project. It sucks. The roller is a piece of pvc over a smaller threaded pipe. Works ok but I would imagine a roller with real Bering would be better. A good source for rollers?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 06-13-2015   #9

Denver, Colorado
Check out northern tool for the ball bearing rollers. Much better than my buddies custom raft trailer roller. They sit on top of the trailer so they work the whole way unlike the ones on the end of the trailer that only help to get the nose of the raft on.
Portable Generators, Pressure Washers, Power Tools, Welders | Northern Tool + Equipment
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015   #10

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Is this the one you're talking about. Searched ball bearings and rollers and trailer.

Ironton Roller and Bracket Set — 2 3/8in. Dia. x 15 3/4in.W Roller | Roller Supports| Northern Tool + Equipment
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote