Trailer build - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-24-2019   #1

Trailer build

Building up my trailer. I have 2 x 6 x 10 planks that will be screwed to the rig, my question: do folks leave a space between the planks for drainage? Or should I keep the planks flush?? Carpet or no carpet? Lol. Oh boy, I guess I just opened up a debatable question I’m just looking for some guidance from the buzz, Rivers are opening up!!

wharf-rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2019   #2
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
Put em together the wood will shrink getting you your spaces.
Old 03-24-2019   #3

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
No carpet, it holds sand and grit.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2019   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Depending on the wood, bigger spaces and carpet that lets the sand through.

splinters don't agree with rafts, and wood generates those, especially if the trailer does more than carry a raft.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019   #5

Any experience with applying polyurethane to yer boards after painting. It supposed to b as hard as plastic. I’m hoping it will case the wood and reduce any splintering. Hoping it will allow for a smoother surface for the raft
Old 03-26-2019   #6

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
in 20 years of hauling rafts around on mostly unfinished wood decks I've never had a splinter be an issue... and in fact, feel that if a splinter damaged my boat I'd seriously reconsider trusting the boat on the water.... I mean rivers are filled with pungy sticks, sharp rocks, occasionally even fence posts; all kinds of things that are much tougher and scarier than a splinter...

With that said, I added 12" HDPE runners under my tubes a few years ago and love them. They are there to reduce friction, not protect the boat but they do add a layer of protection from those pesky splinters as well.

I highly recommend this concept! Plus you can make the center of the trailer grippy to aid in loading or keep you from sliding off the trailer on a steep ramp (BTDT...)
Old 03-26-2019   #7

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
With that said, I added 12" HDPE runners under my tubes a few years ago and love them. They are there to reduce friction, not protect the boat but they do add a layer of protection from those pesky splinters as well.

Elk - I've been wanting to do this for a while, but I'm cheap and haven't found good sources for used HDPE. Don't suppose there's a restaurant supply or something near you that gets it in for better cost than plastic suppliers?
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019   #8

That’s awesome!! Well put, if my boat can’t handle a splinter I got some serious rethinking to do. Haha. 👍
Old 03-26-2019   #9

Belgrade, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by seantana View Post
Elk - I've been wanting to do this for a while, but I'm cheap and haven't found good sources for used HDPE. Don't suppose there's a restaurant supply or something near you that gets it in for better cost than plastic suppliers?

I happen to have a 4x8 sheet leaning against my garage wall. Want it? I think it cost me $50 a couple years ago...

I got it at menards while on a road trip for work... I got this idea from a buddy who drove to Missoula to get his sheet 10 or so years ago... but I do not know of any place local to get it.
Old 03-26-2019   #10

Belgrade, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharf-rat View Post
Thatís awesome!! Well put, if my boat canít handle a splinter I got some serious rethinking to do. Haha. 👍
I understand what dave is saying, a splinter sitting there rubbing could conceivably cause damage, but in reality I feel that raft material is the tougher of the two and will abraid the wood, not vice versa. The biggest deal is getting angular gravel up onto the deck that works it's way under the boat. But even with that, I still haven't had any issues with damage from trailering except a roller that wore on my old hypalon boat. I think it would actually roll while going down the road, creating the abrasion. Nothing from rocks or the deck.