Mountain Buzz banner

Toughest Put In's

7K views 35 replies 24 participants last post by  Binge 
#1 · (Edited)
#24 ·
I did the dumbest thing here in November 2019...

Drove a truck w/ boat in the trailer and dirt bike in the truck bed for the shuttle. We launched the boat down the snow covered hill and brought all the gear down. My buddy then took the truck and dirt bike to the take out and rode the dirt bike back. Well, the moment he pulled away I realized we left the life jackets, waders, and fishing reels in a tote on my driveway. Couldn't float. He got back an hour later, frozen. And I had to break it to him that he had to go and get the truck and bring it back. An hour later we had to figure out how to get the boat UP THE HILL. Thank got it was snowy, and thank god he's an arborist with tons of pullies and ropes.

Pulled the boat up the hill, got it to the top, and the rope snapped and the boat fell back down the hill. Finally got it to the top, and got back to Denver 9hrs later without rowing or fishing. Fuck that day.

#9 ·
The boat is owned by the lodge. They have a couple that they use on that section but they are slid down that trail most days during the season. The bottoms are coated with bed liner to help with abrasion. As mentioned they have a couple of high school students that assist the guide lowering the boat down.
The hike in isn't much fun either pretty much straight down on a foot trial.

#11 ·
Probably the knarliest put in I know of is the Gunny Gorge one...if you don't use Mules.

Even getting to the trail head requires a high clearance 4x4 with low range (i'm sure a Subaru has made it...wouldn't want to be the one to try though). From there...its all on foot or by mule.

Back in the early 2000's I did that run with my colleagues at Wildwasser and we hauled it all down ourselves including a small raft and a bunch of kayaks. We had a trailer full of old warranty claim kayaks and ended up cutting the tops off to use as a sled to get stuff down to the river. I wanna say its a mile or so down a steep, rocky and narrow trail...and we all did 2 or 3 trips. Totally worth it though...its a great run that is basically the tail end of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

I'd recommend hiring the dude who will have his Mules bring your stuff down...hauling it yourself sucks.

#25 ·
A few years ago I backpacked into the upper canyon (imagine 2-3 miles upriver from where you guys went down Chukkar Trail) to fish the stonefly hatch. I was shocked to find two 12' (ish) rafts floating by. A group had packed boats down SOB trail. 3x as long and 8x as steep as Chukkar.

I can understand that it was during one of the most famous and elusive hatches in N America but damn.

#14 ·
They used to haul wooden drift boats down the Upper Gnar Gnar in this video. My wife's grandfather has been fishing there since early '70's. I've been down 7-8 times usually on a 14-16' cat. Truck bed-liner on tubes. They belay the boat down the cliff section.
I've encountered multiple rattlesnakes on the hike down. Ski poles definitely make it easier.

Bear Gulch on the Henry's Fork is also a no joke/steep AF put-in.

#19 ·
Ill second forks of the kern, you kinda get used to it after your second time of the season but its still is a lot of work, but alot of great class V if you run the whole thing in a day. Ive ridden a rocket box dow 50% of it once, was as exciting as the rapids.

#21 ·
Thanks. Those wheelbarrows are pretty cheap at Home Depot. they have a solid tire so no flats. And the only tool you need is 1/2 crescent. You take the barrel part off and you are left with a perfect platform to strap onto. And the best part is the whole thing comes apart in pieces. Wheel, Axel handles etc. Just strap to your frame. or across a thwart and put other parts in bag.

You can use oars to extend the handles too.

#26 ·
Forks of the Kern

Only problem with your wheeled contraption is you're entering a wilderness area (Golden Trout) and mechanical devices are not allowed. So don't get caught...
Put in for the Scott River in No Cal tops my list. You cross a high bridge that's 700 or 800 feet above river level and drop in on belay on river right immediately after the bridge. Boats did fine, but a few of the humans got launched trying to guide our boats down.....

#27 ·
Worst drive to a put in I've ever made is the Bruneau. It takes several hours in 4 low. I've been stuck coming out of there twice in 4x4 with good off-road tires. Once when it was wet, I almost put my truck over the bank. After my last trip in, I came home and bought a truck with diff-lock. If you ever make the trip, try to get some one else to drive. If there has been recent rain or snow, don't go.

#30 ·
I know. I've done it in snow, rain, mud, and sun. Might have even done it drinking beer a few times. I'm not downplaying that it's rowdy. My point was that I've heard many people say don't go if it's wet or muddy just like you did. I don't think it's an all or nothing if you and your vehicle are prepared for it.

#31 ·
The toughest I've done I'd say was the South Fork of the Flathead in Montana. IIRC, it was about a 20 mile hike in. You hike along Young's creek, and slightly before the confluence with Danaher Creek we had enough water to float the boats and put in.

Second toughest was probably the Chukar trail down to Gunny Gorge. Putting in a little further upstream is an even tougher hike. I don't remember the trail name, but one we hiked was steep enough there were sections with ropes strung up to hold onto as you hiked down. We weren't even carrying anything, and that was a tough hike.

Escalante creek in Utah has an easy put-in, but the hike out is a bitch.

#32 ·
My nomination of Gunny Gorge/Chukar Trail was for rafts. Not easy, but not bad for kayaks and pack rafts.

I'll never do it... but the hike into Upper Cherry Creek sounds epic. 12-14 miles basically up and over a mountain and then you hit some classic Class V+ kayaking. Its usually a 2-3 day trip for most...but some guys (like Dane Jackson and his crew) have done it all in a day. I'm sure there are longer tougher hike ins...but that was my first thought for a brutal kayak shuttle/hike in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPpiob1G3_A

#33 ·
Truck lining! I was wondering how the bottoms can survive that. I have been on some "interesting" put ins like winching the boat off a bridge (take out like that too), but, that definitely takes the cake. This year, may go on a Montana river where we have to use mules/horses and go in 14 miles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.