To Build A Fire - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-14-2019   #1

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
To Build A Fire

Here I am at home, trying to cook some Gorgonzola cheese burgers for the family. Need to change the propane on the gas grill. The plastic gizmo breaks in my hand. No problem, I'll fire up the charcoal grill. The charcoal is "tired" and won't start. Add some Match Light but it's windy. Finally I get the propane torch from the garage, fire it up, and had flame in no time. The burgs were great!

It reminded me about a day on an early season, rainy, hypodermic, trip on the Yampa and the challenges of starting a drift wood fire. I'm ready to put the torch in my dry box. It ways nothing and doesn't take up much space. Another fire starting idea I've always thought of but never had in my kit was chunks of DuraFlame or something similar. Any other fire starting ideas or wisdom to share?

Advertisement

Old 03-14-2019   #2

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2011
Call me lazy- but that is how we start our fires at home all winter.

You can also use a blaster (assuming you have one and enough propane).
luckylauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019   #3

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by smhoeher View Post
Here I am at home, trying to cook some Gorgonzola cheese burgers for the family. Need to change the propane on the gas grill. The plastic gizmo breaks in my hand. No problem, I'll fire up the charcoal grill. The charcoal is "tired" and won't start. Add some Match Light but it's windy. Finally I get the propane torch from the garage, fire it up, and had flame in no time. The burgs were great!

It reminded me about a day on an early season, rainy, hypodermic, trip on the Yampa and the challenges of starting a drift wood fire. I'm ready to put the torch in my dry box. It ways nothing and doesn't take up much space. Another fire starting idea I've always thought of but never had in my kit was chunks of DuraFlame or something similar. Any other fire starting ideas or wisdom to share?
In addition to starting your fire easily, I've used a torch to carmelize the sugar layer on top of pre-made creme brulee.

Anything in your kit that serves more than one function deserves to stay there.
cupido76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2019   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
One of the best additions to a kitchen box is a decent Bernzomatic Trigger start torch. It beats the heck out of the usual BBQ lighters that barely put out any flame and break all the time. Worth every penny of the $40-50 they cost. My group of boaters call it "The Match".

That said, my go to charcoal starter is a blaster or woodland power stove with a chimney. 1 minute on medium heat and you have all your coals lit. It accelerates the time to them being ready to cook with by a good 5 to 10 minutes.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019   #5

Hillsboro, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
We always bring all our campfire wood... we might find a few pieces of drift and throw it on the fire.
We use lighter fluid to start our river fires. Pretty easy with dry wood.
At home I use gelled alcohol... best stuff I know of.

The young Boy Scout in the house stuffs dryer lint into empty toilet paper rolls. That works well too.
Beer Waggin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019   #6

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
If you keep your woodland power stove legs folded up you can hold it and use it as a torch.. I have used mine as a weed burner.. the folded legs make a great handle..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019   #7

Ellensburg, Washington
Paddling Since: 1982
I take a small bundle of Fatwood, it's available in a lot of places and even keeps the dry boxes smelling good.
GOTY2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019   #8

Golden, Colorado
Y’all don’t have your own dragon to start your fires?

Peasants.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A4814479-6712-47CC-9C11-2D95C5029085.gif
Views:	47
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	33481  
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019   #9

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
You can get some basic plumbers soldering torches cheap that take up little space. If you use the 1# propane cylinders for your stove you are adding very little volume and weight to bring a torch to go on top. Torches are my favorite way to start a fire, they make getting kindling going quick and easy.
Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019   #10

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post

That said, my go to charcoal starter is a blaster or woodland power stove with a chimney. 1 minute on medium heat and you have all your coals lit. It accelerates the time to them being ready to cook with by a good 5 to 10 minutes.
Brilliant!

I like the propane or Map Gas ideas better than my old standby, Scout Water
(lighter fluid).
I always carry a small amount of dry firewood in a rocket for getting fires going, usually smaller pieces of kiln dryed lumber, cedar works really well, smells nice to. Even if drift wood I find is real wet, I can pretty much always get it to dry and burn with a small fire of the “Emergency Firewood” stash. Getting a pile of charcoal going also works really well for this.
matt man is online now   Reply With Quote