Thoughts on the Eagle w/ kids - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Thoughts on the Eagle w/ kids

It is being proposed to me that we run the Eagle River from Eagle to Edwards in July. I'm looking for opinions on running it with kids 7 and under. I have many miles of river experience, but have somehow never run any part of the Eagle. Looking on AW, there are several mentions of scout options on named rapids which I take to mean that we could potentially have little ones walk if we feel the need. My concern is that with the large snowpack and potential higher flows, scout stops and eddies may be few and far between.

Thoughts? Specific to the Eagle-Edwards section do the rapids wash out at higher flows or get bigger and munchier?

I have 13' raft and monster 15' cat as boat options both with oar setups. I've heard the Eagle can be quite narrow. Kinda concerned a the 15' cat might be too big/wide, but in same breath I just took the large lady down Browns on the Ark at 800 this weekend. She's quite nimble for her size.

All opinions welcome.

Edit - this is the section I'm referring to.
https://www.americanwhitewater.org/c...etail/id/2882/

Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Colorado, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesimapirate View Post
It is being proposed to me that we run the Eagle River from Eagle to Edwards in July. I'm looking for opinions on running it with kids 7 and under. I have many miles of river experience, but have somehow never run any part of the Eagle. Looking on AW, there are several mentions of scout options on named rapids which I take to mean that we could potentially have little ones walk if we feel the need. My concern is that with the large snowpack and potential higher flows, scout stops and eddies may be few and far between.

Thoughts? Specific to the Eagle-Edwards section do the rapids wash out at higher flows or get bigger and munchier?

I have 13' raft and monster 15' cat as boat options both with oar setups. I've heard the Eagle can be quite narrow. Kinda concerned a the 15' cat might be too big/wide, but in same breath I just took the large lady down Browns on the Ark at 800 this weekend. She's quite nimble for her size.

All opinions welcome.

Edit - this is the section I'm referring to.
https://www.americanwhitewater.org/c...etail/id/2882/

I'm sure you'll have a really rough time on the Eagle going from Eagle to Edwards, in fact I guarantee it!
AzPackrafter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I ran from Wolcott to Eagle with 2 five-year-olds and 2 seven-year-olds about a week ago in a 16 ft RMR w/ oar frame. I had previously done it without kids to make sure I knew where I was going but we didn't have any problems. It was about 1000 CFS when we did it. I had one other adult with me to grab kids if needed (it wasn't needed). The river is coming up now, but I would be surprised if it was still much above 1000 CFS by July. On the stretch we did, Dead Cow is the only rapid worth scouting and you can easily do it from the road when running shuttle. We took out before the Eagle River Park. The waves through there are bigger and everyone was cold, but in July things will be warmer so you could go down further and take out at the fair grounds. Again, just scout when running shuttle and make the call based on your kids desire to get wet.
hoodlum is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPackrafter View Post
I'm sure you'll have a really rough time on the Eagle going from Eagle to Edwards, in fact I guarantee it!

Ok Ok. I see what I did there. I blame the spring pollen and the subsequent allergies that come with. Even with allergy meds, I'm currently running thru about 15-20 tissues per hour.

What I meant to say was Edwards to Eagle.
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodlum View Post
I ran from Wolcott to Eagle with 2 five-year-olds and 2 seven-year-olds about a week ago in a 16 ft RMR w/ oar frame. I had previously done it without kids to make sure I knew where I was going but we didn't have any problems. It was about 1000 CFS when we did it. I had one other adult with me to grab kids if needed (it wasn't needed). The river is coming up now, but I would be surprised if it was still much above 1000 CFS by July. On the stretch we did, Dead Cow is the only rapid worth scouting and you can easily do it from the road when running shuttle. We took out before the Eagle River Park. The waves through there are bigger and everyone was cold, but in July things will be warmer so you could go down further and take out at the fair grounds. Again, just scout when running shuttle and make the call based on your kids desire to get wet.
Thanks Hoodlum. What would you say your time-on-water was for that 10-ish mile stretch at 1000?
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Probably 2 1/2 hours. We brought changes of clothes so all the kids could get soaked in Dead Cow and then change right after. 2 of the kids were first time rafters and we were definitely concerned about kids getting cold with the water temps a little below 50.

It's worth noting that "Rumble Seat" does not exist as such any more. The Eagle river park was completed last winter, so if you choose to run down below chambers park it's more like class III wave trains. You maybe could flip a 13 ft boat in it if you float into the drops side ways but it's not class IV by any means.
hoodlum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Colorado, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesimapirate View Post
Ok Ok. I see what I did there. I blame the spring pollen and the subsequent allergies that come with. Even with allergy meds, I'm currently running thru about 15-20 tissues per hour.

What I meant to say was Edwards to Eagle.
lol sorry I just can't pass up the opportunity to be a sarcastic smart ass. IMO you'll be fine with kids on the cat on that section, there's only really 1 or 2 rapids of concern on that section.
AzPackrafter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Evergreen, Colorado
What flow level is too high to make it under the Bridge at Trestle?
gwheyduke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #9
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
The water is cold as hell. Keep that in mind
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwheyduke View Post
What flow level is too high to make it under the Bridge at Trestle?
Trestle is fine for an oar rig at 2200 cfs on the Avon gauge. I can't speak to higher flows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
The water is cold as hell. Keep that in mind
And yes the water is always very cold.
Ever_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote