Thoughts on oar leashes and securing spare? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 02-18-2019   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Thoughts on oar leashes and securing spare?

I'm in the market for a set of oar leashes and spare oar storage, are any of the spare oar keepers worth having over using 2 can straps? I really like the concept on no ring noise on Jake's oar leashes. What is your experience?

Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2019   #2

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
another downfall to the ring is if you use carlisle blades at all an ship your oars, the ring slides down and catches where the blade connects to the shaft.. It really sucks when you need to get an oar back in the water and cant because it's caught. I never have noticed noise with the rings, but on my small boat with carlisle blades the ring hanging up drives me crazy.
codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019   #3

C. Springs, Colorado
I use cam straps to the frame for my spares. I always carry two spares as I use the spares to park my oars on. I rarely ever need to break out a spare, but I don't run anything over class three in my old age. I like the NRS ones for my regular oars as keepers, but they do have a ring on them. They are around $25 a pair.

For years I used a 9' cam strap and put the cam side around the frame and tied the end to the oar. I had an oar pop once and got caught on a rock. I was able to get the oar back, but at the take out I couldn't get the knot in the webbing undone, so I had to cut the strap off. I then bought my first pair of oar keeper straps but they came with fastex clips on them. I lost a Cataract oar in a flip because of the plastic buckle. I've thrown all those away and prefer the type with the metal cam strap and ring now.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2019   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
My title was meant to include "oar securement" if anyone can edit that I'd appreciate it.

https://www.whitewaterworthy.com/product/oar-tethers/

These seem to address issues the posters above have expressed and are a fair price, has anyone used them?
Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019   #5

I just use some decent quality 5-6 mm I think climbing cord. Couple bowlines do the trick. I leave the one on the oar side there, and just tie off to the frame each time.

For the spares, 3' cam straps are about right. I larks head the cam side to the frame so the cam is on top hanging down and then wrap the free end around the oar twice. One press of the cam and that end is free without the strap falling.
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019   #6

St. George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
I use a modified loop strap with the loop end narrowed to a tight fit just over one inch wide. The buckle end is girth hitched around the oar stand leaving it about 6 inches long. The long end of the loop is fed though the small loop and is free to slide on the shaft but will cinch up tight if it is out of the lock. Most regular loop straps could open up enough to let the oar slip out if it was flailing around, although I have never witnessed this happening...…...
dsrtrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019   #7
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I use the same setup as Osprey.
Another consideration is what type of sleeve you use. I use a plastic sleeve on Cataract shaft and have no problems with the leash cord binding and getting pulled into the oarlock.
Our only mishap on the grand last year was caused by just that problem. The setup we rented from PRO had rope wraps with rubber oarstops and used the same white nylon cord as a leash. Right from the start the leash would hang up on the wrap and get pulled into the oarlock when anyone would ship an oar.
At House Rock our lead boat pulled out of the scout eddy to ferry across the boulders but had to ship an oar around a rock and the leash got hung up on the wrap and pinched in the oarlock preventing her from getting it back into the water quick enough. She got pulled into the boulder garden and hung on a rock for about two hours until the water came up and we were able to pull her off. That afternoon I cut those silly little cords off my boat and replaced them with longer cam straps so the weight of the buckle held the loop down below the wraps. The rest of the oarsmen kept theirs on but never stopped bitching about them.
Old 02-18-2019   #8

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I just use some decent quality 5-6 mm I think climbing cord. Couple bowlines do the trick. I leave the one on the oar side there, and just tie off to the frame each time.

For the spares, 3' cam straps are about right. I larks head the cam side to the frame so the cam is on top hanging down and then wrap the free end around the oar twice. One press of the cam and that end is free without the strap falling.
Very effective and cheap. Make sure they are long enough to be able to pull them up onto an upside-down boat. I had a flip where one of them was too short and was a huge distraction, which is the only way to learn that lesson.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019   #9

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I like to use these for oar keepers, no noise, easy on and off (no need to remove blade like with a ring). To attach spares to the boat I make my own spare oar keepers so the spare oars ride high and tight. I prefer 2 spares and rig them so I can rest my rowing oars on them.
I like Jakes design also.

https://www.downriverequip.com/oars-...-pair-pid-2523
Old 02-18-2019   #10

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I made these for my spare oar. Just slide the handle end of the oar through the ring and have the cam and loop strap where you can reach it easily. just hit the cam button to release the loop strap and pull the handle out of the ring. Just like that you are ready to go.
Attached Images

codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote