Thoughts on Achilles Self Bailers? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-06-2015   #1

Salem, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
Thoughts on Achilles Self Bailers?

I don't see a lot of Achilles SB's on the river, but the one's I have seen make me think they are a quality boat. What are your thoughts about these boats and would you recommend considering one for purchase?

kayakerps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2015   #2

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
yes
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015   #3

Salem, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepart View Post
yes
mikepart, you are a man of few words.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2015   #4
rafter

Bend, N'A
Paddling Since: 2000
They look and feel like there made with a heavy enough fabric. But the boats I've seen don't have removable thwarts. Go figure. Downstream
rioperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015   #5

Salem, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rioperro View Post
They look and feel like there made with a heavy enough fabric. But the boats I've seen don't have removable thwarts. Go figure. Downstream
Interesting. The one I am looking at is a 14ft SB. It has 2 lace-in thwarts. It's a 2000, so has the older military valves. Perfect condition with no patches or wear spots. Custom recretec frame with cooler and two dry boxes and diamond plate runners. Also, comes with 3 cataract oars and 3 blades (3 heavy duty blades for the Illinois). Straps, cleaners, patch kit. Literally everything needed to row today. Guy wants 4,000. Is this a good deal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150104_152351.jpg
Views:	1403
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	9223   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150104_152213.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	9224  

Old 01-06-2015   #6

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
It's certainly not a screaming deal. It might not even be a good deal. It is a somewhat fair price on a quality older boat and set up. Those Recretec square tube frames and drybox setups are pretty pricey so it that is the set up for you its priced where you can negotiate. You see a lot of 15 year old hypalon boats for 1,500 to 2,500 naked. Then you have to get it outfitted. Think about how much you like the outfitting and negotiate. Also, any blade that fits a Cataract oar is perfectly capable for rowing anything rowable so don't think that because the raft has been down some river X amount of times it makes it better somehow. I'd probably see if he'd take 3,200$ and try from there. A 3,000 offer seems low ball but to be honest it that might be what it takes to get me interested. That is just my opinion right now however. Good luck.
jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015   #7

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakerps View Post
Interesting. The one I am looking at is a 14ft SB. It has 2 lace-in thwarts. It's a 2000, so has the older military valves. Perfect condition with no patches or wear spots. Custom recretec frame with cooler and two dry boxes and diamond plate runners. Also, comes with 3 cataract oars and 3 blades (3 heavy duty blades for the Illinois). Straps, cleaners, patch kit. Literally everything needed to row today. Guy wants 4,000. Is this a good deal?
Older military valves as in the metal ones or the plastic ones? Metal ones are bomber, plastic ones suck.

They are good boats but that seems a bit high too me. There will be lots of boats out there in that price range this spring, some nicer, some not. Do you have access to pics or the add? More info on the gear might make or break the deal. FWIW, with the info presented I'd guess 3k would be a fair deal both ways and 2500 good to you, 3500 good to the seller...but that's really just gut instinct not having even seen a photo.
Old 01-06-2015   #8

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
oh, missed the pics... I agree with Jake; 4K high but not worst deal thread worthy. 3K go for it. 3500?? - what's having it ready to go worth to you?. I will reiterate that you will find better deals, for sure.
Old 01-06-2015   #9

Salem, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
Older military valves as in the metal ones or the plastic ones? Metal ones are bomber, plastic ones suck.

They are good boats but that seems a bit high too me. There will be lots of boats out there in that price range this spring, some nicer, some not. Do you have access to pics or the add? More info on the gear might make or break the deal. FWIW, with the info presented I'd guess 3k would be a fair deal both ways and 2500 good to you, 3500 good to the seller...but that's really just gut instinct not having even seen a photo.
You should see the photos attached above.
Old 01-06-2015   #10
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
$4,000 is too high unless you really want that exact frame and box setup. $3,000 is probably closer to the market - especially in January.

You could spend $3,000 on a way newer "naked" boat and put together a simple frame, oars, and cheap cooler for just over $1000, maybe $1,500. Then you could buy boxes and extras as you can afford it. That's what I would do - you would be sacrificing on the metal but could have much nicer rubber for your $.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote