Thoughts? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-14-2015   #1

winston, Oregon
Paddling Since: 04
Thoughts?

Do any of you have any saftey concerns with this clip?

Douglassky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2015   #2
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Is this your video?
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015   #3
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Didn't notice anything unsafe in first segment, water was not swift there, even though it was high.
Didn't notice any down stream safety in the second section through rapids?

Kids are younger then I would personally feel comfortable taking down the whitewater section, though I know nothing of there swimming ability, previous experience, etc.

Second segment get's a "hmmm." from me, first section, that really looked fine, sounds like miss understanding, and cops just aren't familiar with boating.

Am a fan of kids being introduced to boating at young age if it is kept super safe....
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2015   #4

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Interesting choice of soundtrack Happy Hanukkah!
Old 12-14-2015   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
I didn't see anything too concerning. Water level looked mellow in the rapids and they seemed perfectly capable of navigating it. Not knowing the air temp or water temp or the youngest child's experience or comfort or swimming abilities makes it difficult to judge the risk involved.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015   #6

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
Didn't notice anything unsafe in first segment, water was not swift there, even though it was high.

Kids are younger then I would personally feel comfortable taking down the whitewater section, though I know nothing of there swimming ability, previous experience, etc.

Second segment get's a "hmmm." from me, first section, that really looked fine, sounds like miss understanding, and cops just aren't familiar with boating.

Am a fan of kids being introduced to boating at young age if it is kept super safe....
Pretty much exactly my thoughts. I'm not sure if I would bring kids that young, but Maybe the father knows their swim skills are fine for that level.
Also the father seems to know that river very well, the front passenger rower seems to know what he was doing and all of the kids had the appropriate gear.

I can say one thing. I wish more parents were like this guy instead of so many that I see that don't parent their kids at all or pay any attention to them at all.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015   #7

winston, Oregon
Paddling Since: 04
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
No down stream safety. From what I understand they go out with just the one boat. My husband and I raft the area and the water is cold year around with air temps in the low 40s to mid 30s. I would want 1 adult per kid with a boat with no kids for safety. Maybe its just my mom instincts.
Douglassky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015   #8
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
The only concern I have is the GoPro/YouTube obsession. Just let kids play - life isn't just about self promotion!

Awesome to see them having fun. Lame to see the cops get in the way and block their freedom to adventure!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015   #9

Salem, Oregon
Agreed, water seems fairly mellow. The only significant risk (apart from exposure due to water temp/air temp) appears to be the lack of at least one additional adult. Should some freak accident occur, can the kids self-rescue? With only one adult it is not feasible to rescue all the kids should the situation arise.

However, given what I saw it seems really unlikely that would occur. I say you are probably as likely to hurt your kids driving to the river as you are with what I saw. And driving is a whole lot less fun!
UriahJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015   #10
swimming

Coastal, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1987
That's hilarious, I have seen good adult paddlers not make the "Wedgie" on the N Umpqua. Little dude knows how to get down river.
GreenWall is offline   Reply With Quote