The Longest Day-most miles floated in 24 hours? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 10-06-2018   #1

Sawpit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The Longest Day-most miles floated in 24 hours?

I have just one more epic rafting trip before wrapping up a very, very low water year here in SW Colorado. I had to drive 8 hours to get my only commercial trip of the season. Our local river, The San Miguel, hardly got above 200 cfs with the exception of a flash flood on Silver Pick Creek. Still, I had to make the best of a bad season with private trips. It could be worse (California).
I am daydreaming of endless river days with Brian Pringle in the Grand Canyon during the HFE. As I wait for the conformation of another high water release (Brian, I would love to go again) in the big ditch I can't help but think about how fun it is to crush a ton of miles on the river in a single day.
Does anyone know the record for most miles floated in a raft in 24 hours? If you have had a mega mile river day please add to this post. I have heard of others on Mountainbuzz talking about the entire Arkansas River in a day with Pringle. Whats your highest?

Andypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2018   #2

When I worked for Hatch River expeditions the runout from the helicopter pad to South Cove back in the day was about 125 miles but that was obviously motorized.

Have done Cataract in one day which is roughly 100 miles I think but again obviously motorized.

I did a commercial rowing trip once where the entire group hiked out at Phantom Ranch and we dead headed to Diamond Creek 135 miles in four days and the only scouting we did was at Crystal. The first morning we went from Phantom Ranch to around Pete's rock which is about 40 miles of big water. Pringle was on the trip also ironically.

The 24 hour paddling record is on the Yukon. Andy Corah I think.
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018   #3

NE, Oregon
~75 miles in one day, Elgin to Boggans on the Grande Ronde. Mid March, 14k at Troy.
Willie 1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2018   #4

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Every spring they do a 100 mile group float here in salmon. The event is called smoking oars... put in at deer creek take out at corn creek.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018   #5
faja

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
You need the read the book, «Anything Worth Doing» by Jo Deurbrouck. It's about two raft guides who, among other things, try to set the 24 record not the Salmon river at flood stage. For me it's the second best book about rafting, right after «The Emerald Mile.»
fajawiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018   #6

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by fajawiebe View Post
You need the read the book, «Anything Worth Doing» by Jo Deurbrouck. It's about two raft guides who, among other things, try to set the 24 record not the Salmon river at flood stage. For me it's the second best book about rafting, right after «The Emerald Mile.»
Great book but they are in a dory rather than a raft.. i have not read the book in a while but i believe the follow up trip was over 200 miles.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
I once made it 2 miles upriver in headwinds on Deso...
almortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018   #8

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Maybe 47 miles? Did a Dirty 30 on the Lochsa one day, and an Upper the next...but that might have been more like 27-28 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fajawiebe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by codycleve View Post
Great book but they are in a dory rather than a raft.. i have not read the book in a while but i believe the follow up trip was over 200 miles.
I n my opinion, «Anything Worth Doing» was a good book, but not a great book. I read it right after I read «The Emerald Mile». It just doesn't compare. Both are about dory speed runs, but the texture of AWD is nowhere near as rich as TEM.

If you're out to read both...read «Anything Worth Doing» first! It's worth a read, but «The Emerald Mile» is in my permanent library, and «Anything Worth Doing» was worth the read but will get passed on.

«Anything Worth Doing» almost read more like «Never Turn Back», Walt Blackadar's biography.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018   #9

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I've done 38 miles on the Middle Fork in June. But the longest day was on the San Juan from Oljeto to Clay hills, I think it's like 8 miles and it took us 8 hours.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018   #10
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Longest day I ever had that sticks out in my mind was rowing 29 miles into the wind with a passenger on the John Day at around 800 cfs, was about 12 hours of continual stroking (not the good kind).
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote