The Grand Salmon. How do people arrange it? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

SLC, Utah
The Grand Salmon. How do people arrange it?

How do people arrange to run the Middle Fork and the Main Salmon together? Is there some forum where they match up permits?

On a sunny hike at Phantom Ranch in early May while we waited for hike-in boaters, I asked my companion—a more experienced rower—about long western river trips. Outside Grand Canyon, nearly every famous trip is 4-7 days long. Main Salmon, Selway, Labyrinth-Cataract, San Juan, Desolation, Salt, Rogue, Owyhee, Illinois, Yampa, Lodore. It seemed odd that only Grand Canyon is a 24-day outlier.

It's nice to detach entirely into river time in Grand Canyon.

We mentioned the Middle Fork and Main Salmon, but at the time I didn't know that the commercial outfitters routinely run them together as a two-week trip. We just knew nobody could arrange to get the two permits together, given the need to match dates and the difficulty of winning even one (and it gets harder every year). It's somewhat like the San Juan with its two main segments, but the BLM reserves a minority of permits for through trips. And those are still just 6-8 days.

So it made me wonder. People must want to try this. Most river runners are pretty agreeable. Is there some way strangers arrange to link permits and share?

(I ran the Main in August 1999 and am looking forward to my first Middle Fork on 27 July. That's a long pause in between.)

UtahBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I’ve turned the corner, most I’ve seen do it as an early season middle fork and then get on the main before permit season. Unreal trip, the changes in the river and landscape as you float is pretty exceptional. The pre-season main can be a bit of a logistical challenge but worth it. Otherwise, need to get the permit God’s to align or coordinate with others which is getting more challenging. Although it looks like you got a pretty reasonable offer on the other thread - jump on it. Shaving a day off the MF to extend down the main is worth it

If going preseason for these Idaho trips you better be ready for what it can throw at you for both weather and water.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
On a slightly different topic, besides the Awesomeness of a middle through main trip...

If you ever want to do a longer than 1 week trip, without major permit god help, You can do it combining trips on the green and Colorado.
I Have done Loma through Cataract, and also Sand Wash through Cataract on the other side of the drainage. You could also put in for cat on the white or Dolores, Yampa to, but that permit has gotten ridiculous to ever get, as well.
Permits for most of these runs are all easier ones to get, and although you get some civilization part of the time, they still can make for some super fun 3-4 week trips.

Middle through Main, sure would be awesome though!!!
matt man is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
[QUOTE=UtahBrian;725405]How do people arrange to run the Middle Fork and the Main Salmon together? Is there some forum where they match up permits?

We've done it in main season with lucky permit draws/picked up cancellations twice in a row and also linked permits with people from the Buzz, forever friends made that way. In fact we have a MF for late June and possibly looking for Main permit holder around July 4th ish.

But why stop at MF/Main? Turn the second corner, run the road section and down the Lower into the Snake. That's what we did on two of our trips, about 20 days on the river and a well needed shower in Riggins. It's a wonderful trip if you get the chance.
wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

I'd love to do Lodore all the way to Lake Powell, then the big ditch. Definite retirement bucket list...in 20 years lol.
BGillespie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGillespie View Post
I'd love to do Lodore all the way to Lake Powell, then the big ditch. Definite retirement bucket list...in 20 years lol.
In the immortal words of Warren Miller, “ if you don’t do it this year, you’ll just be another year older, when you do”.

Don’t wait to long, we never know what the future holds for us... make sure you do all the things you want to do, and enjoy this life we are blessed, with.
matt man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
We've done several long link-ups, including Boundary Creek to Heller Bar and Flaming Gorge to Lake Powell. My strategy involves focusing on getting the hard permits during early or late season, then filling in with cancellations, and being flexible with the types of boat we're willing to use.
Infidien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8

Seattle, Washington
Like most rivers, the Main has an "out of control" season. You can launch with just a MFS permit, turn the corner, and get a self-issued non-lottery permit if you are willing to go late season.

The trip I want to do next is to get 3 MFS permits. spend the first week on permit 1 running Boundary to Indian. Take permit 2 Indian to Flying B. Finish the trip on permit 3 for the lower river. This is the megabucks jackpot of permit logistics obviously.

If I drop an anchor in the river and sleep on my boat in an eddy, can I legally stay a 2nd night in Impassible?

If that's too much permit nonsense for ya, this is the year to run EF Owyhee to Rome. It's longer than a GC trip, free-flowing, and no permits needed!
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
My dream is to do Marsh Creek to Heller Bar, but if Slide is good to go, then Marsh Creek is getting pretty low. There's probably a tiny window when it could happen, but it would require landing a MF permit at exactly the right time. Last year, I did a 9-day high water Marsh-Middle-Main trip, came home, picked up a May 29 cancellation on the Main, and then went from Corn Creek to Heller Bar in 10 days. So I guess I did it, but in two trips.

If I do another Main to Heller Bar trip this year, I will start higher up on the Main at Spring Bar. This adds another 29 miles above Corn Creek and some good rapids and camping. Roadside sections often offer some excellent rapids (the "Daily Section" from Riggins to Lucille is just as good as anything on the Main), and stopping in Riggins for steak, salad, and beer is a real treat.
landslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

Central Point, Oregon
A good option to deal with the slide being too high is to do a quick shuttle from Hammer over the hill to Pitsburg and continue from there. If you get to Riggins and its low enough you can easily keep on floating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landslide View Post
My dream is to do Marsh Creek to Heller Bar, but if Slide is good to go, then Marsh Creek is getting pretty low. There's probably a tiny window when it could happen, but it would require landing a MF permit at exactly the right time. Last year, I did a 9-day high water Marsh-Middle-Main trip, came home, picked up a May 29 cancellation on the Main, and then went from Corn Creek to Heller Bar in 10 days. So I guess I did it, but in two trips.

If I do another Main to Heller Bar trip this year, I will start higher up on the Main at Spring Bar. This adds another 29 miles above Corn Creek and some good rapids and camping. Roadside sections often offer some excellent rapids (the "Daily Section" from Riggins to Lucille is just as good as anything on the Main), and stopping in Riggins for steak, salad, and beer is a real treat.
Whitewater Worthy Equip is online now   Reply With Quote