The Grand Salmon. How do people arrange it? - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 03-25-2019   #11

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickhorn View Post
Like most rivers, the Main has an "out of control" season. You can launch with just a MFS permit, turn the corner, and get a self-issued non-lottery permit if you are willing to go late season.

The trip I want to do next is to get 3 MFS permits. spend the first week on permit 1 running Boundary to Indian. Take permit 2 Indian to Flying B. Finish the trip on permit 3 for the lower river. This is the megabucks jackpot of permit logistics obviously.

If I drop an anchor in the river and sleep on my boat in an eddy, can I legally stay a 2nd night in Impassible?

If that's too much permit nonsense for ya, this is the year to run EF Owyhee to Rome. It's longer than a GC trip, free-flowing, and no permits needed!

Interesting idea about 3 permits. You could do this in October. In the off season you can spend multiple nights in the lower canyon. I've stayed at love bar and then lightning strike the next night.

Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2019   #12

Kalispell, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by landslide View Post
If I do another Main to Heller Bar trip this year, I will start higher up on the Main at Spring Bar. This adds another 29 miles above Corn Creek and some good rapids and camping. Roadside sections often offer some excellent rapids (the "Daily Section" from Riggins to Lucille is just as good as anything on the Main), and stopping in Riggins for steak, salad, and beer is a real treat.
Awesome, plus you avoid 45 miles in and out of wear and tear on the North Fork to Corn Creek road.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019   #13

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
as mentioned earlier the owyhee can be linked a couple different ways for a really long trip. Barker river expeditions offers a 21 day guided trip from the head waters of the east fork to three forks, then to Rome, then to Leslie gulch. If you didn't want to deal with the east fork owyhee, which usually has a major portage at the falls. you can do the south fork from pipeline down.
codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2019   #14

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
FWIW, I've got a July 15 Main Salmon permit, followed by a July 22 Yampa permit, and I'd love to hear from someone with a July 6-9 Middle Fork launch that might be interested in trading spaces and/or combining trips.
dbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019   #15

Kalispell, Montana
Buddy of mine (kayaker) got in on two trips and did a Main-Middle. Floated Corn Creek to Riggins on a Main permit, then flew with his boat to Indian and ran the Middle down to his truck.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019   #16

North Hudson, United States
Paddling Since: 2000
Why not do the entire Main Salmon? The river doesnt dry up below Carey Creek or disappear above Corn Creek. There's plenty of mileage to be done.

There's some fun rapids between Carey Creek and Hammer Creek. Just be prepared to push the oars on the flats.

Sent from my VS995 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
MountainVisions is online now   Reply With Quote