Terran Rafts Thoughts? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-27-2017   #1

Shiprock, USA
Paddling Since: 1990
Terran Rafts Thoughts?

Hi guys, new to the rafting world and doing some research for my first raft.

I keep coming across Terran Rafts in UT but I'm having trouble finding any real information on them besides their website (River Rafts Terran) and a lone review on Youtube ("15 foot Red Terran Raft Unboxing and Review").

The one similar post here on Mountain Buzz about them is almost two years old and it seems like a lot could change in that time for a young company.

Anyone have experience with them? Thoughts on quality and characteristics vs other brands on the more affordable end of the spectrum?

steelyeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2017   #2

Moab, Utah
It floats

I've laid eyes on one Terran boat on the water...Chinese made, thin pvc, glued seams...We tied up to it with a cam strap while floating in the flatwater and I was concerned the D-ring was going to pull right off the boat. The boat fabric pulled out in a cone shape under mild tension.

I'm not sure what the specs say the material thickness is but I've never seen anything deform quite like that.

On the upside, the boat did survive a Cat trip without any noted damage.

The price point is pretty low and as long as you aren't expecting much of a lifetime it might be worth it for class III stretches. Then again, you could get a much better quality used boat for the same price.
scrtsqurrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017   #3

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
There are better rafts that are near the same price point that have a good service record. Both Rocky Mountain Rafts and the Tributary Line from Aire are close to that price and I would be MUCH more comfortable going with one of them.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2017   #4

Salt Lake City, Utah
The RMR's have proven themselves the past few years. There was one on our Main Salmon trip this year. It performed well. Not a fan of the Terran rafts.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017   #5

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Self Esteem

Floating down the river on 4 quantity 55 gallon barrels would give you more self esteem, higher reliability, and better performance.
garystrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017   #6
Was here

Southern, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1983
RMR all the way - bomber! Good honest advice was presented above.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 11-30-2017   #7
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
Don't get in a rush to buy a boat. There are plenty of good quality used boats out there. There are 2 main materials that boats are made from, both have pros and cons. Do your research and remember that you will store the boat more than use it. I have an old Avon bucket boat for sale, 16 footer, everything except oars. I'll pm you the info. The only reason it's not listed in the classifieds is I'd have to drag it out and photo it, and truthfully it's not costing me anything to own so I'm in no hurry. If you look around you will find many people with older boats in their garages for no other reason that the boat has been replaced. One of those garage finds might be the way to go for a first boat.
Old 12-01-2017   #8

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Mmmmmmmm....Old Avons

I have an affinity for old Avon buckets. Whadda ya asking for it and how many micro leaks? I knock the floors out of them and rig-em with a cat frame.
garystrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017   #9
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Ya man, I think you would be way better off with a quality used boat that checks out.
There are some good quality new boats out there a great price, like Aire, or the Trib line to.

Gary, how ya like that setup with the floorless bucket boat concept?
I've thought of trying that out myself, I run a hard floor anyway, and there are some really solid old buckets out there. That's basically what the Donut on a lot of the big motor rigs is.
Old 12-01-2017   #10

North Hudson, United States
Paddling Since: 2000
No actual input on the Terran rafts. However, as a tributary owner, I can say these are stout rafts that will last a long time for what is probably not that much more money. Don't let the tributary in line haters fool you, the trib line materials are identical to Aire USA boats in quality. What you lose is the best warranty in the business. But since no one else has that either and Aire makes good boats warranty or not, I'd look at the Tribs.

RMR makes a good boat too. My only experience is with a Fat Cat, but I liked it. NRS Outlaw line shouldn't be discounted, but the weird floor seems to be a point of discontent for some folks.

If you are really price point driven, and don't want to deal with the used market you might consider Maxxon as well.
MountainVisions is offline   Reply With Quote