Telluride Area Rafting for a 14 ft SB Oar Rig - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 06-08-2011   #1

Kayenta, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2006
Telluride Area Rafting for a 14 ft SB Oar Rig

Greetings,

My fiancee' and I will be in Telluride next week for Bluegrass. We will be there a few days early before the music starts and are considering bringing our raft to float some of the local rivers. We have a 14 foot NRS Otter and run it as an oar rig.

My question...

Are the local stretches of the San Miguel do-able, or even worth it in this type of boat at current flows?

I have the Colorado Rivers and Creeks Bible, so I have some beta...but am looking for more detailed info from those who have done it. If it is indeed do-able, what stretches would be best for a nice day float? How mellow are these runs? Besides the San Miguel, are there other rivers in the area runnable in a 14 ft oar rig at these flows this time of year?

Is it worth our time to bring the raft? We also have duckies, would this be more fun or is this even crazier? Any info and feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks and see ya at the Festival.

Bucket

bucket52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011   #2

Mesa, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Maybe check out the Dolores river.
snakester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011   #3

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
San Miguel isn't a mellow float, but it is a great time. It has a pretty good gradient, so it runs fast and doesn't have a lot of big eddies. You could make the 14' foot rig work, but you'd have more fun in duckies. Bring wetsuits...
An easy few hours on the rio would be Specie Creek to Beaver (continuous II+/ III-). This is below the Sawpit section that has the best rapids, but its fun and will keep you entertained and its not hard to deal w logistics. There are new BLM takeouts along the river so access is super easy and on BG weekend hitching should be especially easy.
I'd offer to meet up with ya but Im out of town that weekend. The river is super fun and if you get out on it you will have a blast!
lookinathesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011   #4

Mesa, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakester View Post
Maybe check out the Dolores river.
But there may not be enough water by then.
snakester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011   #5

Kayenta, Arizona
Class III?

lookinathesun,

Thanks for the reply. That run sounds about right. What stretch are you referring to again exactly? We were looking for a good class III run actually, about how many miles is that stretch, how far away from Telluride? We plan to run the stretch with some friends, a family with kids who all have some river experience...we want to do about a half day...does this run fit that bill? I will very likely bring a duck as well, thanks again for the info, any thing else you could add to that would be great.

snakester

We just got off the Bradfield to Slickrock section of the Dolores, but would the upper Stoner Stampede be do-able for our boat at that time?

Bucket
Old 06-09-2011   #6

Montrose, Colorado
BLM UFO San Miguel Boating Info

This has all the info you need. Its all class III but its fast and within 10-15 miles of T-ride. The last section is most scenic, but a bit further from T-ridea and less easy to setup. TBG and the San Miguel go hand in hand. Have fun!
Old 06-09-2011   #7

Kayenta, Arizona
Great Site

Thanks for the info, just what we were looking for. About how long would you foresee this run taking?

Bucket
Old 06-10-2011   #8

Montrose, Colorado
Each section maybe 2-3 hours. It moves fast.

Tags
lyons creek clinic, rafting