Talk Me Out of a Coleman Tent - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-02-2019   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
Talk Me Out of a Coleman Tent

Alright. I am a pretty big gear head. I've been anti Coleman because of the quality for a long time. HOWEVER, I am in the market for a new tent for rafting.

I am looking at the Carlsbad 4 person.

It's a bit gimicky with the "dark room," but here is why i am interested...
  • I've been on enough floats now to know that mosquitos seem to be an annoying part of many campsites. The thought of an extra screened in porch is appealing for hanging out, escaping the bugs, and not feeling like you are just locked in a tent.
  • I am not too concerned about size/weight because I am floating.
  • It claims to have a waterproof bathtub bottom and improved performance in wind
  • It's hard to ignore the reasonable price compared to more of the REI type brands.

Let me know if I am crazy and if there is better option out there.

Thanks!

carloritschl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2019   #2

Lots of better options just not at that price point.
Big_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Because if you get a Colemen tent, it's a the start of a slippery slope until you get Coleman sleeping bags and the next thing will be a crappy stereo for your home, followed by, God forbid, a beige mini-van?

And before you realize it, your only escape will be to do what Frank had to do:

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2019   #4

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
The first thing I look at when buying a tent is does the rainfly go all the way to the ground. If it doesn't I keep on looking. I had some bad experiences when i was younger and continue to see people have bad experiences with tents that dont have a good rain fly.
codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019   #5

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
Because if you get a Colemen tent, it's a the start of a slippery slope until you get Coleman sleeping bags and the next thing will be a crappy stereo for your home, followed by, God forbid, a beige mini-van
Haha. I know! I swear I have better judgement in gear, but I can't find anything with a screen room like that in a 4 person tent...
carloritschl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019   #6

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Coleman definitely makes some marginal quality gear, but I have found a few Coleman products that I have to give them some credit for. Note, this is coming from some one who is super picky about gear.

For example, while the sheet metal bodies on some of their stoves can feel a bit flimsy, their burners are super efficient and the controls are top notch. They are also safer than most, if not all, other stoves out there. I had a Partner Steel stove burst into a ball of flames. I have at least two Coleman stoves that have taken many years of abuse and still work great.

I also have an old Coleman folding camp kitchen table that has taken an absolute beating over the last 15 years and is still going strong. Its light and very packable. It blows the doors off other more expensive tables like the roll-a-table. I also have a couple of Coleman propane lanterns that I really like.

I have no experience with their tents, but I'd avoid any that have fiberglass poles. Apart from that, I'd be willing to take a look at any of their equipment. If it works, and the price is right, why not.
Old 04-02-2019   #7

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2011
Buy nice or buy twice....

That said, my biggest tent issues seem to always be zipper related. Those sandy beaches seem to always take a toll on the zipper. I had a walmart special that I used, up until the zipper broke on a week long trip in Moab. We made do with some safety pins and good attitudes (was not spider proof- at all)- but it was a stressful night when a wind storm and rain storm came and and it seemed like it was going to blow us away.

Maybe you should buy the Coleman tent and come back and let us know why you shouldn't have bought it. Or why it was adequate enough to suit your needs!
luckylauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019   #8

I have no problem using my Coleman sundome for river trips and car camping. The floor is waterproof and robust, add a cheap blue tarp underneath if you want and it will be bomber. I think the key with Coleman tents is that all positive reviews have to come with the caveat *for the price*. I think they are an awesome value and will get the job done. Iíve had a 3-man for over a decade and itís still going strong. Bought a 6-man to fit cots 2 years ago and itís performing well. Importantly for me, if either of these hit the crapper tomorrow I would feel like I got more than my moneyís worth and wouldnít cry about having to buy another tent. I like not feeling like I have to baby it all the time. Iím a gear head about some stuff, but Iíve been sleeping in a Coleman most of my life and donít feel the need to spend more on a tent (except for backpacking of course). One recommendation- spend extra money on a model that has a hinged door. It seems cheesy, but my sister has one and the convenience is awesome, well worth the price.
protechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019   #9

Loveland, Colorado
I've had good luck with Coleman tents at Festivals, Car camping, since the 80's.

Understand the following:
1. it won't ever fit back into the original bag....at least they never used to
2. not a tent for an April storm in CO where there's potential for big snow/rain.
3. You will more than likely get your $$$ worth out of it. Just understand you aren't going to be passing it down to your kids like I am with my Northface VE-25 or my Cabela's Alaskan Guide.
4. the tent will die in the following order: zipper, poles, floor

I just got the REI Grand Hut 4 for the wife and I and our cots and it's super easy for us to put up, while I let my kids sleep/set up my 20 yr old Kelty backpacking tent. https://youtu.be/8UEizPqx6Xc
wack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019   #10

Denver, Colorado
I've had a few over the years and they're okay, but the fiberglass poles always fail and the sleeve tips get packed with mud. I've settled on smaller mountain hardwear tents for boating. And they usually have that stiff flooring that stuffs really badly.
markhusbands is offline   Reply With Quote