Talk me out of a 146DD - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-21-2019   #1

Whitefish, Montana
Paddling Since: 2003
Talk me out of a 146DD

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a do-everything boat, and the 146DD seems like the front-runner, but I'm not sure if I'm missing something. ~60% of my days will be single days on I-III water with 2-3 anglers (including rower) and a dog on the boat. The rest of the time will be class II-IV western overnights and extended trips. I imagine setting up a frame with decking as well as angling seats that can be removed at times.

The 14.5 Sotar Strike is appealing for fishing, but doesn't look like it would do too well with a lot of cargo in class IV. The classic round tube boats are great with gear and heavy water, but not so much for passenger comfort or wind.

I can't afford a Maravia, and while other companies make diminishing tube boats (Sotar SL, NRS 139D and Otter Dodger XL) I like the Aire warranty and relative closeness of their HQ. Are there other boats I should be looking at?

Thanks!

Sharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2019   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Well, for 1000.00 more (AND the floor comes installed too unlike the AIRE) you would have a boat that will last twice as long, doesn't have zippers or bladders, the floor doesn't hold water, it's Hypalon and not plastic, in MY opinion it's a no brainer..
https://www.nrs.com/product/1085/nrs...f-bailing-raft
Why are you set on a diminishing tube boat? I've run both, and really can't see a huge advantage truth be told.

My 2, your mileage may vary.
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019   #3

Denver, Colorado
And for $50 more than that, get a hyside, comes with another thwart, slightly longer frame options and more colors than red or blue. Order a hyside and call it a 15 year investment, or order the Nrs and do the same. I have an aire ducky and it’s fun, but cleaning sand and stuff out of the chambers sucks. It’s a deal breaker for me. And the life expectancy of hypalon vs pvc seems like a no brainer on such an investment.
Have we talked you out of it yet?
jonseim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2019   #4

Jenks, Oklahoma
For what it is worth.

You wrote
"I'm in the market for a do-everything boat"

No such boat exists or at least after many decades of looking for it, I have not found a do every thing raft, kayak, golf club etc etc

My advice is select the brand and model raft you like the most now, buy it and get on the river soon as you can.

What you like is the way to go. Most every rafter I have met over the years (my self included) has their own ideas. I own or have owned multiple boats and none of them did every thing as well as I wanted them too do.

Just get the boat you like and enjoy it. Sooner or later you will buy another boat.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Have you seen a DD in person? The front and rear tubes are about the size of a water wing after being double diminished. If you're loaded heavy and hitting IV's I'd think you would want more aire up front to stay on top of the water.
Fly By Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019   #6

Whitefish, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
Why are you set on a diminishing tube boat? I've run both, and really can't see a huge advantage truth be told.

My 2, your mileage may vary.

Thanks for your 2 cents. My impression (mostly from the interweb and marketing hype) is that a diminshing tube boat will get pushed around significantly less in the wind. The majority of my time on the water will be spent fishing on the Flathead, which is mellow water and has a pretty reliable upstream breeze. It also has better sight lines to the trouty water directing in front of the angler since you're not looking over a big tube, and more room in the bow for feet/dogs/empty beer cans. BUT I haven't really been in a diminished boat and I've never rowed one (other than a super puma, which isn't really comparable) which is why I'm asking y'all. Sounds like I was maybe kidding myself about the burlyness of Aires.

My impression was that Aire's last a really long time. I won't be super hard on a boat, but I do want something that'll last at least a decade without much headache. Most of the water I'm on is extremely clean so I don't worry about silt in the floor, and my usual takeouts involve backing a trailer with a winch straight into the water, so the drainage issue isn't that big of a deal to me. The floor design does still seem a little overly complicated though.
Old 07-21-2019   #7

Whitefish, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
For what it is worth.

You wrote
"I'm in the market for a do-everything boat"

No such boat exists or at least after many decades of looking for it, I have not found a do every thing raft, kayak, golf club etc etc

I know there's no one boat to rule them all, but I'm likely to have a kid in the next year, and this is probably the only raft we'll own for the foreseeable future. There's no way I'm gonna turn down a Salmon or Selway trip because my boat doesn't have the idea spec sheet, so this boat is going to have to do everything I do.

Reading the input I've got, I guess my question boils down to: How much of a compromise will a heavily-loaded diminishing-tube boat feel like in Class IV? Will I really be missing those fat tubes in the bow and stern?
Old 07-21-2019   #8

Whitefish, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly By Night View Post
Have you seen a DD in person? The front and rear tubes are about the size of a water wing after being double diminished. If you're loaded heavy and hitting IV's I'd think you would want more aire up front to stay on top of the water.

I guess that's really what my question comes down to. I can evaluate the different floor constructions, cost etc, but I really don't know how much the little pinner tubes in the bow and stern effect performance and cargo. I don't imagine ever needing to have the huge gear mountain, even on extended trips, but on the Smith I will have an angler on the stern and cargo back there too...
Old 07-21-2019   #9

Whitefish, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonseim View Post
And for $50 more than that, get a hyside, comes with another thwart, slightly longer frame options and more colors than red or blue. Order a hyside and call it a 15 year investment, or order the Nrs and do the same. I have an aire ducky and its fun, but cleaning sand and stuff out of the chambers sucks. Its a deal breaker for me. And the life expectancy of hypalon vs pvc seems like a no brainer on such an investment.
Have we talked you out of it yet?

Given that the boat is gonna be trailered, garaged, mostly used on putins/takeouts where you can back a trailer into the water, used for 30-50 days/year in extremely clean water, I'm honestly not too worried about the durability thing. Aire and NRS are the most local boatmakers (ID from MT) so they've got better dealer support and are easier to get to if I need to take it in to get repaired.

So... no, not talked out of it yet but I really do appreciate the feedback. I think I'm now just re-thinking the diminished tube thing, in which case the NRS boats are appealing just because they've got such a great track record.
Old 07-21-2019   #10

SWCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 80's
I was just looking at a 146dd yesterday. The diminishing tubes are definitely smaller than my buddy’s round Aire tubes. But looking at the wireframes the dd has more rise in the bow than the R series so I’m not sure how that helps with the wind argument.
MR. ED is offline   Reply With Quote