Suspended floor talk - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #11

SLC, Utah
The beaver tail (cargo platform) you have pictured works great for gear, but definitely NOT for standing. It's fabric, not solid.
It is perfectly fine, and in fact, if I'm not mistaken, the way it's intended to be used, for them to be secured to your exterior D rings.

blueotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #12

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
when I was figuring out how I wanted to rig my first big boat, before getting an everything bag from Stitches and Stuff, I used the NRS floor as a pattern (since it fit in my rig pretty nicely) and made a 3/4 inch ply platform, just using some scrap that was sitting around--rounded the edges, and ran the straps through holes in the ply at near the same spot as the d-rings...made for an easy beaver board template, and then I used the floor as a clamshell to keep everything in...YMMV
T.O.Mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #13

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by coult45 View Post
My current worry about the suspended floor concept is stability. If I only build a captains floor, then I foresee it swaying about and moving a lot. I think of standing on and old school wooden swing, pic below. If that swing were much longer, comparing a captains floor to an entire length, or at the very least, captains bay all the way up to the front bay, wouldn't it be a WHOLE lot more stable? I am having a tough time picturing these suspended floors without a ton of sway or movement, unless they are butted up against coolers, tubes, or something else solid. Thoughts?

I was worried about the same, but since I row from a dry box and usually run a cooler in the bay in front of me, I made the floor a couple of inches longer than my captain's bay. Then I just cinched up the floor so both the box and cooler hold it in place. Super sturdy.
heyben is online now   Reply With Quote