Super Rookie!!! - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-31-2012   #1

Kellogg/Newport Beach, Idaifornia
Paddling Since: 2012
Super Rookie!!!

Ok so I have floated a few times years ago in Idaho and now am moving to Montana and will be doing alot of fishing and camping. I have determined that a 14ft boat is what will be best for my plans. I have been reading ALOT for the past month about boats here on the buzz. I will not be rolling or folding up my boat for storage so thats not an issue. I think I have my choices down to AIRE,Maravia or Sotar. I hear the things about the AIRE's as to silt/sand in the bladders and zippers but I am wondering is that really an issue in MT where the water is "mostly" clean? And are the Maravia or Sotar warranties as good (no fault) as AIRE's? Also is it as easy as it looks on AIRE's website to clean and maintain them? Are either Sotar or Maravia even easier to maintain? Thanks in advance for your input. MTMonkey

montuckymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012   #2

also

It will mainly be just me and my dog most of the time so it will be an oar rig always and will never have more than four people and gear on it.
Old 08-01-2012   #3

Searching for water....., Idaho
Air has by far the best warranty out there. Sotar's is not a no-fault and is not 10 years(but you wont need it). I dont know what Maravias is.

I would say that both Sotar and Maravia are easier to maintain than an aire...simple is best.

That being said, they are all great boats. In Idaho/Montana there is little to no silt and I havent heard of anyone having issues with the Aires for that reason. I think that you should be fine with any that you choose, just find a deal, color, size or whatever you are looking for and get on the water.

If you need somone to lead you down the gorge this summer let me know.
Pinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012   #4

The Fort, Colorado
Aires tend to be much heavier - and row like it - than the other 2 boats. between the ballast floor and the dual tubes you're sacrificing agility, it makes sitting in eddys harder, and generally makes everything more work when you're using the boat for fishing. The standard floors do make Aires stable and user friendly in BIG water. the tube design is SUPER durable, but it has draw backs. the zippers need regular cleaning to be functional, and if you do have a blow out, water fills both the outter shell and inner bladder and makes repair a hassle. I guided out of Aires for 10 years (both whitewater and fishing), and they are great boats. their customer service is amazing. and i can't say enough good things about their durability; the company i worked for bought their first superpuma in 2000, and it is still in their fleet (12 years of comerial abuse and counting!).

All that said, if i was choosing between all the boats you mentioned i would go with maravia. Maravias are nimble and light and can do anything you want them to. i've rowed several models, and i've really liked each one. its easier to maintain postion in eddys and row upstream (2 things i really like in a fishing raft). the handle big water really well.

i'm also a huge fan of Incept rafts. they are out of New Zealand, and they have a couple of models that make incredible fishing boats. everyone one of my guide buddies who's rowed mine has instantly wanted one.
whitewater_fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012   #5

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 1976
If you afford a Maravia you will never regret it. I have a 12 year old 16' Northwind that looks as good as most new boats. There is no stronger boat on the market. I've seen these boats take unintentional punishment that would have doomed an AIRE. AIRE is a good mid-level boat though and I have great respect for the brand - just not nearly as durable as a Maravia.

I just sent my 16' floor in to have pin holes professionally repaired and they fixed holes and reinforced seams for free even though it's out of warranty. Their repair department is fantastic to work with.

Between my friends and I we own 12 Maravias, 3 AIREs, a couple Rikens, several Sotars and Hysides and a smattering of other lesser boats. Maravia holds up better than all. Remember to 303.
montana_field is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012   #6

Thank you

After your comments I did more research....I found people saying Wing inlatables are bullet proof so I called them and found out that they will still build whitewater rafts but only in orders of at least 10 at a time...the guy on the phone said "If I was buying a new whitewater raft I would go with Maravia because I know they also have a GSA contract and getting one is not easy but if you see a used wing buy it immediately." So with that again I thank you for helping me to do more research and make my decision to go with a Maravia willy 1.
Old 08-01-2012   #7

Almost forgot

Pinned...when I get up there (hoping mid-Sept.) I will for sure get in touch as I know no one up there other than a friend that is a guide in Bigfork and any help/guidence on all aspects of this sport will be immensely appreciated.
Old 08-01-2012   #8

., ...
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by montuckymonkey View Post
After your comments I did more research....I found people saying Wing inlatables are bullet proof so I called them and found out that they will still build whitewater rafts but only in orders of at least 10 at a time...the guy on the phone said "If I was buying a new whitewater raft I would go with Maravia because I know they also have a GSA contract and getting one is not easy but if you see a used wing buy it immediately." So with that again I thank you for helping me to do more research and make my decision to go with a Maravia willy 1.

Great choice, you will not be disappointed...
Pro Leisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012   #9

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 1976
Might want to check out the Maravia Zephyr. Very popular
montana_field is offline   Reply With Quote