super light day repair kit, what is the bare minimum? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Unread 22 Hours Ago   #1

plainfield, New Jersey
Paddling Since: 1995
super light day repair kit, what is the bare minimum?

I have a maxi repair kit that will probably sink a ducky for multiday or wilderness trips, and I am now thinking about paring down to something sub 5 pounds (it is about 16lbs) for day trips and ducky runs. I run almost all AIRE boats, and a jpw culebra (all PVC)
Right now I have some of tear aid A, gorilla tape, AIRE sewing kit and zipper pulls, and some aquaseal and accellerant.
What else should be in a small day repair kit?

jerseyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 19 Hours Ago   #2
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
the big roll of tear aid, needle and thread is all you should need for on river repair. It would have to be a big ass rip for me to even bust out the needle. Tear aid is wonderful.
Unread 19 Hours Ago   #3

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
A small paint brush, some sandpaper, scissors, small sharp ice pick (for sewing), small pair of needle nose pliers( for sewing) and four shots of JD. A multi-tool can replace the scissors, needle nose pliers and ice pick(awl for the longer rip).
raymo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 18 Hours Ago   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I trust Zach's answer to this question, I think his solution and a multi tool (they are cheap on Amazon) and you're good to go. There are just too many things you can do with one for such a small weight and cost penalty.
Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Hours Ago   #5

thornton, Colorado
I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly By Night View Post
I trust Zach's answer to this question, I think his solution and a multi tool (they are cheap on Amazon) and you're good to go. There are just too many things you can do with one for such a small weight and cost penalty.
I understand, but if your repair doesn't hold air, your going to need those four shots of JD.
Unread 16 Hours Ago   #6
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
what the hell do you do with the paintbrush and sandpaper? No glue to mess with if you have a big roll of tear aid. If you want a sewing kit, its just a big ass needle, thread and the pliers to save your hand. I will agree on the JD or other booze tho but four shots aint gonna cut it. I always have an extra pint handy. Its great for the aforementioned purpose or for trade when you fall short on anything.
Unread 16 Hours Ago   #7

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
Ditto on the shots of JD. LOL

Unfortunately the pump (even a small pump) is the big bulky item for a repair kit...

gorilla tape serves multiple purposes. Back in my day with budget boats, I kept about ten feet of gorilla tape wrapped neatly around my oar shaft, to peel of an use for those beaver stick encounters.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Hours Ago   #8

thornton, Colorado
Apparently I'm confused.

[QUOTE=zbaird;745815]what the hell do you do with the paintbrush and sandpaper? No glue to mess with if you have a big roll of tear aid. If you want a sewing kit, its just a big ass needle, thread and the pliers to save your hand. I will agree on the JD or other boheoze tho but four shots aint gonna cut it. I always have an extra pint handy. Its great for the aforementioned purpose or for trade when you fall short on anything.[/QUOTyingE]

Your trying to tell me there is something better than JD, I don't think so! What in the hell is tear aid?
Unread 14 Hours Ago   #9

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
Tear aid is like stretchy tape. It’s quite revolutionary for on the river repairs. Really a great time saver. The downsides to tear aid, it’s not cheap. And it can be clingy from static and stick to itself (handle carefully my friend).

Have the shots of JD after applying the tear aid.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Hours Ago   #10

thornton, Colorado
Well call me, one oar short of a spair. I did not know how well it worked or much about it, till now. If zbaird recommends it, must work very well. But his choice of other liquor on the river, besides JD, is still in question. I'd rather wake up sober in the morning, if we ever ran out JD. Ice cold beers don't count, though.