Summer Grand Canyon Campsites - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-22-2017   #1

Plano, Texas
Paddling Since: 1983
Summer Grand Canyon Campsites

August 2018 trip coming up & looking for cooler campsites, any suggestions other than a bucket line to water down the sand to cool it off.

riverrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2017   #2
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
So.. you've got a grand canyon permit. you need to know about outfitters, cool summer campsites, and favorite hikes... did you really need to open up 4 threads for this?
Old 04-22-2017   #3

Chandler, Arizona
Paddling Since: '92
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverrafter View Post
August 2018 trip coming up & looking for cooler campsites, any suggestions other than a bucket line to water down the sand to cool it off.

Welcome to the desert south west! Sleep on your boat and everything will be fine, and slightly cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2017   #4

Plano, Texas
PhilipJFry, why the venom?
Old 04-22-2017   #5

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Cause you're wasting our time making us open more than one thread. It is annoying and leads to us not wanting to give input, because we have to do it multiple times, instead of in one post.
MaverickUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017   #6
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Would you call your mom up and ask her what's for dinner, hang up then, then call her right back and ask her when to come home, then hang up and call her right back to tell her when you'll be coming home, then hang up and call her back to tell her you're on your way home? (see it's annoying...)
Old 04-22-2017   #7

Plano, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickUSC View Post
Cause you're wasting our time making us open more than one thread. It is annoying and leads to us not wanting to give input, because we have to do it multiple times, instead of in one post.
MaverickUSC if this is a waste of your time, why are you replying to my post?
Old 04-22-2017   #8

Plano, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJFry View Post
Would you call your mom up and ask her what's for dinner, hang up then, then call her right back and ask her when to come home, then hang up and call her right back to tell her when you'll be coming home, then hang up and call her back to tell her you're on your way home? (see it's annoying...)
PhilipJFry, your replies seem to imply that you enjoy being annoyed.
Old 04-23-2017   #9

River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
The Boatman's Almanac https://rrfw.org/sites/default/files..._July_2000.pdf gives the time of shade for all camps throughout the year. Certain guidebooks such as the Martin guide give good camp descriptions including amount of shade. Finding a side canyon with a running stream is also huge to beat the heat on a hot afternoon. Sleeping on a mesh cot on the boat was the single easiest and most effective thing that I found. Then every camp was great.

Quote:
OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017   #10

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
I've been on the Buzz for a long time and I'd hardly call that venomous. Here are a few points about why some folks may seem annoyed and I'll gladly waste my time making them. You've been a member of the Site since 2014, yet in the span of three years, you have never posted, much less contributed any advice or even taken part in any discussions until you need something from the community here. Now you've got a permit and need some information, so you put up 4 posts on the different topics you're interested in seeking information but without using a single question mark or expressing any kind of advance appreciation. You also don't seem to have used the "search" function first but expect people to spend their time providing you with their expertise. Folks are giving info, and I just hope you'll share some appreciation, maybe come back and let us know how things went, what campsites were good, which outfitter you chose and how they did, and so forth. However, the entitled tone you have doesn't give me much optimism.

Not being venomous, just pointing out some perceptions that struck me from your posts, past behavior (or lack thereof) and the way you are communicating.

Have a great trip,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote