State of Sustainable Raft Companies and Manufacturers - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 11-29-2010   #1

Gunnison, 81230
Paddling Since: 2009
State of Sustainable Raft Companies and Manufacturers

After researching different aspects of the rafting industry in terms of sustainability and environmental effects, the attached link is a synopsis of what we found.
Read and provide your feedback!

Thanks,

Josh Stupka, Christian Hill, Kait Bailey, Steve Evers, Joy Lehman, and Neil B.

Western State College of Colorado Students
Attached Files
File Type: doc sustainable rafting.doc (88.5 KB, 267 views)

christian hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2010   #2

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Please don't ask me to open a Word document from someone I don't know. You are aware that they can be loaded with malware. I won't take the chance.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010   #3

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
What I think Mogur would prefer is that you print it to PDF using something like cutePDF or load it as a Google Doc.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2010   #4

Boatin', Colorado
Don't take the chance then, who cares. cutePDF?

What the fuck is this place coming to?
Peev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010   #5

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mogur View Post
Please don't ask me to open a Word document from someone I don't know. You are aware that they can be loaded with malware. I won't take the chance.
Worthy suspicion, but it's clean
ricoswagga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010   #6

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
What I think Mogur would prefer is that you print it to PDF using something like cutePDF or load it as a Google Doc.

Meanwhile, I chose to trust you and read the paper. Some critique:

- Why is the original written piece on the 4th page?
- What point are you trying to make, or is this meant to be a statement of facts?
- Did you do any original research for your paper? (It's cool if it wasn't required, just state it)
- As an employer, I like to see your take on the issue, properly couched, rather than an assembly of information
- "Sentiment of freedom"? I feel quite free out there. Free enough to have my toenails painted and participate in naked running matches.
- What is SOTAR made of?
- What do you suggest we change?
- Does most of the pollution occur during manufacture or use of the boat? (See the Prius vs an F-150 for a surprise in the total carbon load for 75k miles - the F-150 is nicer to the sky because batteries are energy intensive to make)
- How much does an organic garden honestly help? (Smugness is a turn-off for me)
- What is the carbon output of the guys running their registration servers instead of the printed mailings? (Use a average power use of 500W for a ballpark)
- Is it more efficient to deflate boats for transport? (There will be an energy cost to inflate and deflate, I was hoping you could quantify it.)

I'm not trying to be mean - these are just questions that popped to mind while I was reading the paper, and I'm friendlier than a prof.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010   #7

Denver, Colorado
whats with all the environmental research papers being posted by new users all of a sudden?
Old 11-30-2010   #8

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandob9 View Post
That is exactly my point. Thank you.

As for you, Peev: Your comment is what this forum is coming to. If you can't speak with a civil tongue, don't speak at all.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010   #9
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
Mogor, If your worried about "malware", then you obviously use a inferior AntiVirus or Protection product. May I recomend that you ditch the freeAVG or bloatware Macaffe or Norton for a combination of products like Free or Paid Avira (AV)($25 year), Malwarebytes (free or $25 license) and Comodo Firewall (PIA to set up, but great product). Also try Firefox with adblock plus and NoScript. Free and Clear where ever I go on the web.

For PDF printing, try PDF Creator
It allows yo to create a dedicated PDF printer, much better than cute pdf.

Good Critique above.

What about a difference in PVC boats that are welded vs. Glued? Manufactured in the USA as opposed to Korea and China?
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010   #10

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandob9 View Post

Meanwhile, I chose to trust you and read the paper. Some critique:

- Why is the original written piece on the 4th page?
- What point are you trying to make, or is this meant to be a statement of facts?
- Did you do any original research for your paper? (It's cool if it wasn't required, just state it)
- As an employer, I like to see your take on the issue, properly couched, rather than an assembly of information
- "Sentiment of freedom"? I feel quite free out there. Free enough to have my toenails painted and participate in naked running matches.
- What is SOTAR made of?
- What do you suggest we change?
- Does most of the pollution occur during manufacture or use of the boat? (See the Prius vs an F-150 for a surprise in the total carbon load for 75k miles - the F-150 is nicer to the sky because batteries are energy intensive to make)
- How much does an organic garden honestly help? (Smugness is a turn-off for me)
- What is the carbon output of the guys running their registration servers instead of the printed mailings? (Use a average power use of 500W for a ballpark)
- Is it more efficient to deflate boats for transport? (There will be an energy cost to inflate and deflate, I was hoping you could quantify it.)

I'm not trying to be mean - these are just questions that popped to mind while I was reading the paper, and I'm friendlier than a prof.

Thanks for the critique brandob9. Here's a link the final revised paper in GoogleDoc format:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B1EMlKh Is2IiNDE3ZWRkODctYjA5Ni00NjIwLTgwMjctN2IzMWFmMTkyM zAx&hl=en&authkey=CPfWlPsL

This should be much more comprehendible than the previous rough draft.

To answer your inquiry:

The intentions of this study are stated in the abstract of the paper.

All research was conducted via the internet and direct email conversations with various companies.

The "sentiment of freedom" an individual experiences in the outdoors is entirely subjective from "Free enough to have my toenails painted and participate in naked running matches" to enjoying leisure time away from work.

SOTAR rafts are made of Lexatron fabric; a polyurethane nylon, which you already know. Thanks for bringing them up; SOTAR was obviously not considered in this study but Lexatron seems to fall into a "less bad" material. Polyurethane does have potential harmful effects associated with decomposition and combustion of the material or inhalation of the polymer dust. But this is mostly prevalent during manufacturing or in case of fire causing a minute concern to consumers.
Here's a positive link about the polyurethane industry:
http://www.isopa.org/isopa/uploads/Documents/documents/sustainability.pdf

We suggest a change towards more sustainable thinking and action. Since we are the consumers, all of us as recreational boaters have the power to influence companies and manufacturers to pursue sustainable policies and practices to create a more sustainable and responsible industry.
Positive steps start with education and awareness to these practices.

As stated in the paper, most harmful effects occur during the manufacturing process, especially in production of PVC.

The use of an organic garden is simply pursuing a healthy lifestyle. And why not enjoy your own locally grown produce in which you are aware of it's origins and know it was grown without nasty pesticides etc.?

Carbon output and servers? This could be a complete study in itself. As for now, I'll leave this for someone elses pursuit.

Efficiency in deflating/inflating for transport? This is variable. An inflated boat on a trailer will be more aerodynamic than one on top of the truck/van/car and thus decrease gas mileage expenditures/consumption. Would this offset savings in deflating then inflating with a hand pump? No. Would this offset savings in deflating then inflating with an electric pump? Maybe, but probably no.
Once again, this is beyond the scope of the study so I'll leave it up for grabs.

Feedback encouraged.

Thanks!
ricoswagga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rafting