South Fork Snake - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-06-2016   #1

cedar city, Utah
South Fork Snake

We are considering a fringe season 2-4 day float from Conant to Byington.

1). Anybody float this at low water? Sitting at 1000 cfs so I am curious on folks experiences and thoughts.

2) Fishing Pressure in November? Guessing its low and wont see many people camping on the river.

3) Recommended camps? Ones to avoid?

Anything else,? Completely new stretch for us so i just want to gather info.

Phillip

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2016   #2

Rosa, At the bottom of the Lake
Paddling Since: 1996
Floated that section in a day at 14,000 cfs this summer in a driftboat, my hands still hurt. My buddy caught a lot of fish, I rowed a lot. The fishing was boarder line silly (good).

Curious to know how a late season float is as it is an amazing section of river. Stop in the crazy nice hotel above the put in, their coffee is top notch.

J.
GilaRobusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016   #3

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I can't be of much help but I've done it in mid October years ago, water wasn't an issue, though I have no idea what level it was at. I honestly believe it's never to low.

I do not recal what camps we stayed at but it's really a 2 day trip at any level. We did stretch it to 3 once by putting in at spring creek, floated to one of the first frew camps first night, then one of the last on the last night. Still had short days. Fishing was good, I don't recall it being out of this world but we definitely caught fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2016   #4

West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
You can still float it, fishing pressure will be minimal by south fork standards. I talked to a friend that floated downstream near Heise this weekend, they caught a couple of large cutts and a decent brown. Plan on mostly throwing streamers, big articulated junk is the ticket. You might see heads if there is a BWO hatch going on. If you're going to make it a three day trip, camp at Dry Creek and Lufkin Bottom.
Paddle Iraq is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016   #5

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Sept.

We did it in mid September at 6000. We were in IKs, kayaks, and I rowed my mini-cat. Even at that level, we had to be on the lookout for the shallow channels. I think we had to walk the boats once after a bad channel choice. We stayed at Dry Creek & Rattlesnake. Lufkin is my all time fav camp and we did stop there for lunch. At low water, the muck in front of the camp was super smelly. I was glad we camped elsewhere. Might be high, dry, and non-smelly now????
Old 11-09-2016   #6

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2011
I would just avoid the first handful of camps. If you are launching from Conant, that is easy. We had a lot of noise from the road and a pack of coyotes ran through camp. Everything after you split around the mountain seemed a lot nicer. You will probably have some cobble to navigate to the camp sites due to the lower water.
luckylauren is offline   Reply With Quote