Sneak on Pistol Creek.. - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 88
Sneak on Pistol Creek..

Hello everyone. I'm running the Middle Fork Salmon next week (8/2 launch). In a video I recently viewed on youtube, it stated the sneak on river right is closed on Pistol Creek. Is this true? Also, is the strainer still there between Sulpher Slide and Rams Horn? Thanks for any feedback.
Warren

Idahoan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
Have a great trip Warren! Wish I was going with you! Hope someone steps up with the beta you want.

Alan
Grifgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Yes, the river right sneak will be closed, at least do to the lower water level, that cobble bar cuts it off as the water drops.
Watch out for the fuck you rock on river left, in the main line of pistol, I ran it close to the wall in early July, and it was just stating to come out, with the f you rock just off my right tube.
Not much for scouting hear, but Pistol always seems like a good one to go take a look at, if you don’t run it to often!

A specific strainer between sulphuric and Ramshorn does not stand out in my memory, but there might be one? Plenty of new wood in the river from this spring, all over the place, so head up as always!

Also, take a look at the post that somebody started about a boat slicer down by Mallard, a couple rafts got tore up.

Have fun up there man, mfs is awesome!!
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4

Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
We just got off on 7/22 . Water level was 1.3' at the start and the right run was open when we went through. No strainers. have a good trip.
John the welder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

Ft jones, United States
Paddling Since: 1985
Quote:
Originally Posted by John the welder View Post
We just got off on 7/22 . Water level was 1.3' at the start and the right run was open when we went through. No strainers. have a good trip.

Me thinks you meant 2.3'....
BenSlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6

Boise, Idaho
This will be my 12th time down the M. Fk. I ran it last year and the sneak was open, but tight. I always look at Lake Creek and Pistol. Have several newbies on this trip so it's a must. Pistol is really the only one I do scout, the rest is read and run. There was a strainer on river right per the Salmon Challis Nat Forest website that ran from river right 3/4ths the way across. I'll have to remember that about Mallard. Will hopefully be running the Main again next year.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7

Boise, Idaho
Yeah bro, I wish you were going too. Same with Marty. I'm getting excited. I have the cooler/beer fly in coordinated. Now just a matter of buttoning up fine details.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8

Seattle, Washington
go left!

Shap will be along in a bit to tell you that you can station a person or two and swing boats into the right sneak at surprisingly low flows, 1.5' even.

But let me advocate for the left run for a moment. It is a thing of beauty to run. You just put your boat on the outside bend, the water does everything for you. A little gentle work to stay just off the bank. pull the bow back right as you line up to clear the fang. It's plenty big slot and the sweeps run it so get in there!

It will look too narrow from the scout. You'll debate whether you can pull right of the fang, and sometimes people do it ok. But don't fall for it!

Don't be half-assed in your committment to stay left. When things go wrong on the left line, it's because it looked good to pull right of the fang and someone made a last minute freelance decision to try to get right. This is an illusion, a siren song. Stay strong, stay left.

It's like a 3 stroke run, one of my favorite moves on the MF. Just how good it is will only become apparent from the boat, after it's too late to go anywhere else.

Go left!
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9

Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
Yes 2.3'
John the welder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10

Boise, Idaho
Left definitely looks better than center. Did you have to shirk your oars?