Smallest Cataraft for two people - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-05-2013   #1

Reno, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2005
Smallest Cataraft for two people

I have a 16' raft that I love doing multi-days trips on. The only problem is that it is too big for alot of the smaller rivers I'd like to run close to home, and it is too much boat for day trips (I don't paddle raft). I am looking for a 12-13' cataraft for day trips and maybe a few overnights on some of the rivers that are too small for my 16'. I would like the option of being able to take my girlfriend along (she can't complain about me buying another raft if she can go too). Would a 12-13' cataraft be able to take the weight and still be maneuverable in class III-IV water? I weight about 200 lbs and she weighs about 150. I would like the smallest cat possible that could get the job done. I love how quick and fun the small cats are. (I have the bus now I need the sports car!!!)

Thanks Bluefunk

Bluefunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013   #2

Poundtown, Wokastan
Paddling Since: 420
Most cats that can carry two people are just as wide as your raft and drift deeper in the water than a raft. I would think that 14' x 24" would be good and just about the cut of.

34" inside the tubes plus 48" for the tubes makes the craft 82" wide. That's almost 7' wide. How wide is your raft? Even a 12.5' legend which could work would be 6.5' wide.

I thinking puma???
Old 06-05-2013   #3

The Aire Wildcat (13') also works well for this purpose.
Getting ready to sell the tubes.
Bluefunk PM sent.
Jon-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013   #4

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
Most cats that can carry two people are just as wide as your raft and drift deeper in the water than a raft. I would think that 14' x 24" would be good and just about the cut of.

34" inside the tubes plus 48" for the tubes makes the craft 82" wide. That's almost 7' wide. How wide is your raft? Even a 12.5' legend which could work would be 6.5' wide.

I thinking puma???
I concur. I run a 14X24 cat, and I wouldn't go smaller for two people and overnight gear. Cats tend to lose their speed and maneuverability when overloaded. Maybe a 13 ft. Raft? If you want a playcat, that's cool. Just don't expect it to carry much without some conservative planning.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013   #5

Reno, Nevada
Oh forgot to mention that I not planning on trying to fit two people plus gear for overnighters. I just wanted the option of running two people for day trips. If I was going to take two people for a overnighter I would take my other boat.
Old 06-05-2013   #6

DURANGO, 81301
13 footer can handle 2 people with no gear for sure. Take the girlfriend a few times on some splashy day runs and she'll be wanting her own boat soon enough. Then you can have your "sports car" all to yourself!
Gumbydamnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013   #7

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefunk View Post
Oh forgot to mention that I not planning on trying to fit two people plus gear for overnighters. I just wanted the option of running two people for day trips. If I was going to take two people for a overnighter I would take my other boat.
If you go with the Aire the wildcat is 20" tubes. The ocelot is 22" plus an extra foot of waterline. The extra foot for lady space doesn't hurt either. Hard to find a frame setup that short that will comfortably support two

Maybe you can get a 12 or 13' boat and try and set it up to R2 it (side by side with paddles)
Old 06-05-2013   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
12.5' sotar legend would be great, many people do a passenget. It's comparable to most other 14' cats in load capacity because of blunt tips and bigger tubes. I'd think a more traditional 13', like the wildcat, would be getting a bit small.
Old 06-05-2013   #9

cedar city, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-O View Post
The Aire Wildcat (13') also works well for this purpose.
Getting ready to sell the tubes.
Bluefunk PM sent.
My friend has one.....I wouldn't imagine it would perform well with a passenger for class III-IV water for which the thread mentioned. The thing is dynamite with one person but would be awkward with the weight of a passenger, i.e. not broken up and dispersed.

My Aire Ocelot can be a great day tripper with passenger but I would still have to counter balance the passenger weight for it to behave in a way I would consider worthwhile.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013   #10

Reno, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Hard to find a frame setup that short that will comfortably support two
I've been looking at the DRL River Gypsy frame, you can put a removable passenger seat in the back. Has anybody had any experience with this frame?

Tags
cataraft