Small group on Snake this weekend - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-30-2015   #1

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Small group on Snake this weekend

We have a 14' raft, and there will be between three and five in the boat. Two to three adults, and two tweens who complain about everything, regardless.
We had a few more people going, but they backed out yesterday, and with them, our shuttle. We can still manage a shuttle by possibly bringing a motorcycle with us.

The flow looks to be below average, at about 6000 CFS. I am an experienced sea kayaker, my wife is an average sea kayaker, and the other adult has been rafting a few times.

One of the people who cancelled (due to a family event overlap) was the experienced rafter. He says we will be fine between East Table and Sheep Gulch because it will be flowing so low. We've only been rafting a few times, and only on mellow stuff like Moab daily.

With so few in the boat, should we scrap the plans and find something else to do, or do you think we should go ahead with it? I'm considering opening up invites on facebook to get a few more people.

Thoughts/advice?

dentedvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2015   #2

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
I saw a raft upside down in Lunch Counter while running the shuttle last weekend. It's not a Moab daily type float, but big eddies after the rapids allow for fairly easy yard sale cleanup with minimal consequences.
J144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015   #3

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1976
Sounds sketchy to me.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Whetstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2015   #4
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Snake daily is always a shit show with all kinds of skill on the river. Lunch Counter is the only real rapid you will have there at low water and like J144 said, huge eddy behind it allows to pick up swimmers.

The rest of the rapids are pretty small and there will be rock dodging. Make sure you don't miss the take out, after the take out there is a nasty drop you don't want to be in.
Old 06-30-2015   #5

Jackson, Wyoming
I wouldn't worry about bringing a MC to shuttle- super easy to hitch. There will be a ton of boats on the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wyosam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015   #6

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
If I recall 6k starts to bring up big kahuna. its a right to center move to hit it head on. I always aim for the right side of the wave to hit it head on.

I think the biggest trouble maker up there at 6k is the green wall or kissing wall. Its after the 2nd rapid on the left. The river makes a sharp bend back to the right and a lot of water piles up against the rock wall on the left. Lots of boats get pinned against the wall before spilling.

6k should be a fun level. Over 12k Lunch counter can be a little more interesting. 16K is where the lateral appears on lunch counter if I remember correctly.
unlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015   #7

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Welcome to ElevationImaging.com - Eye Select Online Studio

Photographers have moved to Kahuna where the carnage is now most likely.
You can however sneak it easily on the right; there is also usually a tighter left sneak to avoid the worst/best of it -- but you can look right down on it from the overlook to decide for yourself what line you want -- you can stop by and look before you drive to the put it. Lots of folks with very variable experience run this all summer -- pool/drop makes it relatively easy to recover if needed. Dress to swim; tight PFDs; heve fun.
Look at the photos to get an idea (you can see how the commercials are doing it too) -- the carnage in the link had something to with folks not holding position as the raft went up -- good to NOT do that.
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015   #8

Jackson, Wyoming
I'll add:
You know the folks you will be with -- there is always a chance of a swim -- if that is not tolerable, maybe don't do it. There is a much lesser chance of a flip (especially if you sneak kahuna), but it could happen -- if that is not tolerable, think hard about it.
BTW, it will be crowded this weekend.
Air temps have been high so getting wet is a relief and you warm up again pretty fast.

After Kahuna, Lunch Counter, Rope and Champagne (fine bubbles in the pool after the rapid) and after the jumping rock on river left, you come to Cottonwood Rapid where the river widens. Usual run is left (either left of house sized rock which you will undoubtedly see or just right of it -- it is river left. You will see that the bottom of the rapid is river right -- no need to rush over there, current will take you over there at the bottom -- nice wave train as it moves you over to river right, and then nice wave train as the rapid runs out.
Old 07-01-2015   #9

The ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Totally doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw View Post
We have a 14' raft, and there will be between three and five in the boat. Two to three adults, and two tweens who complain about everything, regardless.

Thoughts/advice?
Alpine is fun at 6K. People seem to have trouble with Haircut (Kissing wall?). You will see the long wave train close to the right wall that leads up to Haircut. The right wall looks like it's going to rip your boat if you get too close (resist the urge to be far from it). I guess people try to stay off the wall too much and then can't pull away from Haircut, which is the river left wall that the wavetrain pushes you into as it turns right. I hope this makes sense.

Megan
robemega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015   #10

Jackson, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by robemega View Post
Alpine is fun at 6K. People seem to have trouble with Haircut (Kissing wall?). You will see the long wave train close to the right wall that leads up to Haircut. The right wall looks like it's going to rip your boat if you get too close (resist the urge to be far from it). I guess people try to stay off the wall too much and then can't pull away from Haircut, which is the river left wall that the wavetrain pushes you into as it turns right. I hope this makes sense.

Megan
Megan's advice on Haircut is right on -- enjoy the wavetrain along the right wall and be ready to make strong moves right where the wall stops.

[In hindsight, what I have written below may be too much detail for you -- you might skip it if you don't want to know too much.]
Just to orient you a bit, the first rapid of any significance was created a few years ago by a landslide on the right (many call it Double Draw) -- easy to read, roughly center left entrance (there is a hole far left), follow tongue. Very shortly after that you will see the right wall that leads toward Haircut.

How will you know you are getting near Kahuna? There will be a very long straight flat section called the Gauging Straight which will narrow into wavy Black Canyon from which you will begin to see the white of Kahuna -- it may not look like much because you drop into Kahuna and the distance view does not show the drop -- as I said you can see from road and sneak it if you want.
Lunchcounter is immediately after Kahuna (there IS a quiet spot to regroup if necessary between Kahuna and Lunchcounter on river left; pretty sure you could even get out and scout Lunchcounter from there is you felt the need -- most don't). At this flow, I think you can just take the tongue; seems like sometimes you can go a bit right to avoid a wave that the tongue leads to if desired; big pool after.
After more quiet water after Lunchcounter, is Rope which has a beautiful tall rock wall on the left. Personally, I like to enter Rope from the left to hit the curler at top left (and then move just a bit toward center to be sure to hit the best waves), center approach is also fine -- it is a very fun wavetrain.
Next, most folks enter Champagne from the left, which may push you a bit toward the right wall as you exit, but no big deal, might bump the wall (it is a very short rapid). I already mentioned Cottonwood which is the last rapid.
I hope this helps. For Fourth of July weekend, you will probably be following a long line of other boats -- leave some room (especially if you decide to run the meat at Kahuna -- you could run into a stalled vehicle).