small cat weight distribution? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-18-2013   #1

small cat weight distribution?

i finally bought a smaller cat so i can get out on some of the lower river levels. right now, i am running my bigger boat as the colorado is running at decent levels. the little boat i bought is an 11' jacks cat. it came with a frame, but the frame is very poorly built and is falling apart. the old frame also has the seat at least 18 inches or more behind center line of the tubes. i have not had it on the water yet (douchebag that i bought it from didnt include the seat or rigging straps), but it seems like it is going to sit very high in the front.
my 14' x 24 cat is set up where i row from the rear seat and it sits a little nose high, but with a passenger it is about neutral. i have never rowed a little cat (under 14'), and i think i should be sitting just aft of center.
thoughts?

i will build the new frame out of 1" .063 steel, it will be just enough to hold a seat, attach to the tubes, and hold up the oarlocks.

spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2013   #2
El Chupanibre

ERIE, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerhenry View Post
i finally bought a smaller cat so i can get out on some of the lower river levels. right now, i am running my bigger boat as the colorado is running at decent levels. the little boat i bought is an 11' jacks cat. it came with a frame, but the frame is very poorly built and is falling apart. the old frame also has the seat at least 18 inches or more behind center line of the tubes. i have not had it on the water yet (douchebag that i bought it from didnt include the seat or rigging straps), but it seems like it is going to sit very high in the front.
my 14' x 24 cat is set up where i row from the rear seat and it sits a little nose high, but with a passenger it is about neutral. i have never rowed a little cat (under 14'), and i think i should be sitting just aft of center.
thoughts?

i will build the new frame out of 1" .063 steel, it will be just enough to hold a seat, attach to the tubes, and hold up the oarlocks.
I have a 12' CAT and the DRE frame is set up with the seat behind the center line and have to have a passenger or a significant amount of gear in front. The boat is awesome if loaded correctly but becomes very difficult to control without a big load up front. It probably doesn't help that the fat-ass rowing the boat is on the bad side of 270.
OldandBitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013   #3

Lincoln City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Small cat weight distribution is critical to achieve high performance. Few have the tube diameter to allow 2 up performance, Typically we run a small enough frame to allow adjustment on the tubes to optimize the small tube benefits in technical water. Great size tubes, the old Maravia 12/20 were super sporty !! Have fun !
mrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
small cats are great, I built my own frame for jacks 16 inch tubes. the frame is 3 piece modular that nest together for easy hauling. 7 foot oars 14 inches between tubes 10 foot long for all three pieces.call me for more detailed questions 970-946-0555
billycrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #5

Wheeler, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
I run an 11' cat with the seat just aft of center, like you are thinking. Unless you have gear on a rear platform, then move the frame forward. Your legs out in front of you are a significant bit of weight on a boat that small, especially if its go a lot of rocker. Super fun though! Enjoy
boogercookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #6

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1985
Baby Cat

We have (Grandma's boat) a 12.5' Baby-cat from JPW and homemade frames.
Main frame has scout bars, toe bar, and a cargo space up front for an ice chest, or the lab if I strap on a door mat.
The hoops next to the seat help hold the rower in place in the rough stuff and make a great place to rest the oars out of the water.
Second picture shows a seperate passenger frame that can be added but really reduces the fun factor, unless you're the passenger.
Making a break-down frame now for the Gunny trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4070244.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	6289  
Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I have a JPW Fat Cat with their light oar frame. The seat is just aft of center, yeah, though it looks forward of center in this photo for some reason. The foot rail is fastened to the aft of the two grommets on the front flap of the tubes and the seat is held to it by straps - I'm pretty short though so for the same positioning a tall person might want to use the forward grommet set.

The seat is a Riverside sit-on-top seat which is okay but I want to add some padding. The stock JPW inflatable seatback cushion doesn't give enough support. The luggage frames are just PVC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	6293  
ilanarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #8

Seattle, Washington
I always like to be just bow heavy. When drifting, the heavier end will naturally drift downstream, so a stern heavy boat always wants to spin out.

I manage this on my 12.5' cat by sitting over the 2nd of 4 d rings. Middle is between the 2nd and 3rd. When I start getting gear loads behind me and can no longer move the frame forward, I back on a bow bar in front of me to help balance the load out and keep me fairly centered in the boat.
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote