Sleeping on a raft..... - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-07-2012   #1

Ashland, Oregon
Sleeping on a raft.....

Who's got the rigs with onboard sleeping set-ups? I would be glad to see pictures or hear what you have brewing......I am interested in sleeping on my 15' NRS raft and am considering how to hang a hammock (someone must have this going on) or develop a flat platform..or use a sleeping cot or set up a onboard mega-mid or ? Pictures or rec's for previous postings much appreciated!.....Thanks!!!!! ---

Oregon595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012   #2

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
If you have side rail platforms its easy to set up some roll a cots. The feet are about 48" apart this should span most side rails
Old 10-08-2012   #3

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I did a search on hammocks and found this one that was posted by Sam Arnold IV.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012   #4

Hi,

All you need is a 20' long cat and you can do this on top of your boxes.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GC 2010 -RP 035.jpg
Views:	1561
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	5214  
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #5

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
I will see if I can dig up a picture later but my wife and I sleep on our 14' avon a lot. We have a 4 bay frame and put ammo can's up front, dry box next, in the captains bay I built a wood insert and then the cooler at the feet. With a little foam the first 3 bays are almost completely flat, the cooler at the feet is close but isn't a big deal. The captains bay insert goes on top of the ammo can's during the day and makes for a GREAT place to put a fire pan. The size is just right for the two of us and if we need to we can pitch a tent on top without a huge amount of work but we usually sleep under the stars. The only modification I am considering is trying to figure out a way to build another insert for up front to replace the ammo cans while sleeping since they are often used at camp. I would want the two inserts and fire pan to all nest to make it as clean as possible.
Old 10-08-2012   #6

Ashland, Oregon
Thanks for the replies....especially the pictures..!
Old 10-08-2012   #7

Been river camping for 30+ years and the older I get, the closer I sleep to my boat.
At this point in my life, I normally sleep on the beach within 5' of my boat. A cot can set up on any beach, including sloped and rocky.

The next logical step would be to sleeping on the boat, but I have never seen the advantge. Its either moving or up on a sloping beach.
On the Grand you have to deal with ths tides. You cut off easy access to all your stuff on your boat.
Tougher to rig a quick shelter if it rains (never use a tent). If you drop something, its either lost in the bottom of your boat or in the river.
Takes much longer to set up/take down. You end up peeing from a moving or sloped boat in the dark.
And did I mention, its hard to get to your beer cooler.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #8

Park City, Utah
One of my boating buddies came up with a good way to sleep on his boat. He has 2 roll a cots, instead of inserting the legs, he cam straps the cots together, then straps the outside of the cots to his frame. This keeps the cots taught. He has a 16' Avon, so it is a fairly wide boat. He sleeps length-wise. Looked sweet, I didn't try it, but that is my plan next trip. May need to pad a spot or two with a pfd.
Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #9

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Been river camping for 30+ years and the older I get, the closer I sleep to my boat.
At this point in my life, I normally sleep on the beach within 5' of my boat. A cot can set up on any beach, including sloped and rocky.

The next logical step would be to sleeping on the boat, but I have never seen the advantge. Its either moving or up on a sloping beach.
On the Grand you have to deal with ths tides. You cut off easy access to all your stuff on your boat.
Tougher to rig a quick shelter if it rains (never use a tent). If you drop something, its either lost in the bottom of your boat or in the river.
Takes much longer to set up/take down. You end up peeing from a moving or sloped boat in the dark.
And did I mention, its hard to get to your beer cooler.
So true, Sleeping in a tree would be cool as well but in the end very similar to boat camping. Only reason I can see for boat camping is to many mushrooms and missed all the good campsites.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #10

Ashland, Oregon
Yep! and....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketboater View Post
So true, Sleeping in a tree would be cool as well but in the end very similar to boat camping. Only reason I can see for boat camping is to many mushrooms and missed all the good campsites.
Call that a double header of wisdom!....thanks!...heading for the cot on-shore then but those hammocks on the boat sure look nice still ----anyone ever set up hammock poles on an NRS frame?