Side rails / walkway - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-31-2019   #1

Moab / Salida / Molokai, Colorado / Hawaii
Paddling Since: 1985
Side rails / walkway

I have a 18' Aire Leopard cat with an NRS Fat Cat frame. I would like to install side rail walkways the full length. I have been looking at these from NRS but 20' of these is very expensive.

https://www.nrs.com/product/93010.03...ide-rail-racks

Anybody have a clean method for making these at home ? How to attach to the frame ?

Pictures?

1mauisurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2019   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
I like to make my own out of finished birch plywood. I attach them with NRS U bolts and sex bolts to create a smooth finish on top and allow the crossbars between the back and front to still be moveable. I've done this for several years and on a couple of different boats and I'm about to do it on my new boat. I like how it looks and functions.

Lots of pics here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/WJYsb3z7egf1cn7r7

bcpnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019   #3

So its only attached on the 2 ends. I like that. Looks clean. Are those "T" nuts ? Where did you get those ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2019   #4

Salt Lake City, Utah
Yeah, it has worked very well for me. The only issue I ever had was when I strapped something around the board pulling hard inward and it made the board budge a bit. I tightened down the sex bolt and it fixed it, but on my next iteration I think I'm going to do a pair of U bolts on each end instead of just one.

Those sex bolts for attaching to the U bolts can be tough to find or just really, really expensive. I haven't been able to find them in stainless at a price I'm willing to pay, so I've been using these: https://www.grainger.com/product/1CJW1
Old 01-31-2019   #5
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
I also went the birch plywood route and routed in slots for tie down points. Instead of bolting mine down, which was the original plan, I ultimately decided to strap them on using 1' straps. For traction, I mixed some large glitter flakes into the poly. Sparkles and safety
MontanaLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019   #6

Salt Lake City, Utah
I'd like to see your sparkles! I thought about adding traction in on mine but I've never had any issues with them getting slippery. Still thinking about it for the ones I'm about to make though. I'm also adding slots for attaching gear on my new ones but still bolting down the ends.
Old 01-31-2019   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Thanks for the link to those nuts! I've been looking all over to find those in the correct size to fit U bolts.
Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019   #8

Thanks for the link. Is that the correct size for the NRS U bolt's ?
Old 01-31-2019   #9

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mauisurf View Post
Thanks for the link. Is that the correct size for the NRS U bolt's ?
Yes. Those definitely fit standard NRS U bolts. I just ordered more for my new raft that I'm working on.
Old 01-31-2019   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaLaz View Post
I also went the birch plywood route and routed in slots for tie down points. Instead of bolting mine down, which was the original plan, I ultimately decided to strap them on using 1' straps. For traction, I mixed some large glitter flakes into the poly. Sparkles and safety
Cool. I like to use salt for the non skid, just in case there is some Tequila on the trip. Or, I could use sugar in anticipation of some Mojito's.