Mountain Buzz banner

Shuttle/Hitchhiking Salida>Rincon and Beyond

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  1mauisurf 
#1 ·
Hello Er'Body,

So I spend most my easy days with the fam up on the Upper C. Gonna be heading down to Mt Princeton Monday and hitting the Milk Run on the Ark. Now there is a good chance we may head out Sunday, and want some intel on Salida and all points east before RG. I have never rafted any of it, but have driven it. I know there are takeouts everywhere. My question is kinda two parts, and yes, I searched the archives.

How hard is it to hitchhike this area, say around Howard, Cotapaxi, ect? I know the river follows the road, or the road follows the river, but is hitching friendly?

Second, what is the best section for a timid wife and adventurous kid? Thinking we will try to camp around Rincon or Vallie as there are open sites strange enough!

Thanks yall

jG

#2 ·
The Milk run is upstream, from Johnson Village, you used to be able to put in at Winderness Beware's ramp, I heard they started charging like 5 bucks but beats the slide down the hill below the bridge on 285, and then go to Ruby Mountain, where there is a AHRA campground. Likely the best run for you. Salida East to Vallie has a couple rapids in there that might be a bit much for a timid wife, and the campground is very exposed, we've been having heavy winds in the canyon for the last couple months, I see a lot of tents blown down there while folks are off elsewhere.

Most that used to pick up hitchhikers don't these days due to them bringing COVID to our small town from the front range and points far from here. Used to be you could get picked up in 5 minutes, but I saw one guy standing PFD in hand at Rincon, trying to get to Salida East, for over 4 hours on Sunday, and there wasn't a shortage of traffic.. Just sayin.

#3 ·
many ahra camps must be reserved in advance. Stone bridge to big bend will work as well and you can have a bite to eat and a cocktail at the Drift Inn at Independent Whitewater. Local taxis shuttle but not cheap.

#4 ·
Thanks. Damn Covid. Some days it just slips my mind I guess. Yeah, no hitching. Wilderness Aware does charge $5 for the ramp. I do recall that. I have ran that along with Browns many times. The wife is against Browns due to all the action, but doesnt mind the waves on a high water day on the upper C. Timid but not too timid. Thanks for the Covid reminder!

#5 ·
WAO also can run your shuttle for you. The Milk Run's a great starting place for the Ark.

#6 ·
We did Salida E to Vallie bridge a lot during the safer at home time. My wife would drop us at Saida E and then drive the shuttle vehicle to Vallie bridge. Then she ride her bike on the dirt road on the north side of the river to the Wellsville bridge. We would float to Wellsville and meet her there and just strap her bike to the boat. Works well and no hitch hiking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.