Short oars, narrow frame, 6'3" wide boat? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-25-2019   #1

Calgary, Alberta
Short oars, narrow frame, 6'3" wide boat?

Anyone try something like this where you're carrying almost no gear and want to run something tight?

I've been lusting after a smaller boat for "Creek" runs after scouting a few rivers last summer that seemed too narrow for my boat oar combo.

Current oars are 9' with 72" oar spacing (I have pins and clips with long pins to get the oar lock height up).

I was thinking that if I turn the oar locks around and run a 60" oar spacing I could use 7.5 oars and be able to handle tight spaces without buying a new boat (or even new blades) and I'd have a tonne of floatation and stability.

I would run with a simple 2 bay day frame with 1 or 2 dry bags with day/emergency gear only, so very light weight.

My simple math tells me that my 1/3 2/3 ratio would be exactly the same, and I just got some pro loks, so I'm thinking the weird angle on the oar locks would not matter.

Am I crazy?

Flame away!

cupido76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2019   #2

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
Not a crazy idea at all.

I assume NRS towers.... correct me if I am wrong. Four nuts and two U-bolts, boom. You can always flip it back. Easier than new frame cross members.

Before committing $ to new oars, Test out the geometry onland with the raft inflated using just the oar shafts, pipes or straight poles that mimic oars.

You might bump/rub the raft or lose those deep steep-angled strokes, which are useful in all types of water. But a little rubbing is certainly cheaper than a new raft or frame .

Take photos for us man
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019   #3

Calgary, Alberta
Correct... NRS towers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
Before committing $ to new oars, Test out the geometry onland with the raft inflated using just the oar shafts, pipes or straight poles that mimic oars.
That is a great idea, thanks!

One thing I am worried about is oarlock height in this configuration but this test should also let me know if that works.
cupido76 is online now   Reply With Quote