Selway Permits gone in less than a heartbeat - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 03-16-2017   #1

Salem, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Selway Permits gone in less than a heartbeat

Wow, I guess I was one of many thousands of happy fingered people anxiously awaiting the 7am release of those coveted May 31st and June 6th launches on the Selway.

After checking my permits options at 3:30am like any dedicated rafter does, I was amazed to see that there were two Selway permits available. Greedily I clicked on the first one I could get my mouse to. Only to be informed that the permits were only going to be available at 10am EDT or 7am PCT (my time). Heading back to bed with the alarm set for 6:45, I anxiously awaited my chance at the coveted prize. Of course not before checking the other 4Rivers permits and at least securing a Hells Canyon launch on the 23rd .

With my mouse in hand and computer screen set to the Selway river permit page I dutifully began clicking the "Book Permit" button at about 6:58 just to be sure I didn't click too late. Seems like others were doing the same, since the availability of the permit flickered out and came back as others were told they were just a little bit too early. Sadly, the permits disappeared in between furious clicks never to resurface.

Congratulations permit winners. Maybe next year. Or better yet, invite me on your permits!

(I'll keep the Hells Canyon launch as a salve for my forested river dreams that have been dashed this night.)

Advertisement

Old 03-16-2017   #2

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1983
Nice post! I was right there with you the whole way! I'll have to check and see how many of my regular crew can rally for a June 6 launch. But if I have a spot open I'll give you a buzz.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
mowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017   #3

Salem, Oregon
Thanks mowgli. Congrats on the permit draw!

Obviously it would be awesome to squeeze onto that permit, so let me know if you have room. I've got gear, boat, and a trailer. Hopefully the runoff doesn't rage too high, but I think that late you'll be safe, though I wouldn't be surprised if a few peak runoff trips cancel for fear of their lives
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2017   #4

Golden, Colorado
Yep, I was eyeing that June 6th launch for the past few weeks. I was hopeful but alas wasn't able to get it. That will be an exciting trip! PM me if you want to fill a space I could come with a raft and all the accoutrements or as safety kayaker.
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote