Selway at 1.3 to 1.7? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-16-2015   #1

boizee, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1984
Selway at 1.3 to 1.7?

Anyone have any experiences to share in this specific flow range? Will be on it next week and excited to see it at those levels...all my runs have been at 3 to 6 feet. Lots of trip reports at 1' and lower, and 2' and higher...but that's not what I'm looking for. I just want to get an idea how the rafts on the trip are going to fare, plus I'm still making my craft choice decision (I have lots of options).

thanks!
ted

boicatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2015   #2

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Rafts be hatin life. There will be rock fences all the way across the river in a few places. If you have ppl on small cats that could help the rafts that would be great. There will be some rubbing and dragging for the round boats. Its going to be tight for your cat boats as well. Its boney for kayaks at these flows but still very doable.

Bring your fishing pole and plan to take your time.

Snakes where out thick last week below moose creek.
Old 06-16-2015   #3

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Ran 1.2-1.6 2 years ago. Pretty fun.

I'm used to below 2' on the MFS. I would say it was a touch tighter at the top and similar near the bottom. We Had a mix of cats and rafts, both did fine. We had a max of 1 passenger per boat. Packed fairly light, but we did take 1 cooler and real food. No beer. I rowed a 14' SB with my brother on front and swapped out on a 15' cat sometimes.

The fishing was great, the scenery was amazing and the boating was interesting but not dangerous. I think everyone but 1 boat got out in pingpong and walked it down. We picked the magic line and barely scraped at all. A 16' raft got stuck in washer woman for a bit, being slightly wider than the widest gap. The moose juice section was pretty easy IMO- compared to what I expected. Read and run technical. Although we did have a flip in wolf creek, which was funny. It is not an easy read.

I have a series of low flow selway videos on vimeo

https://vimeo.com/user19504768/videos

Have fun. Bummer it is so low already.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2015   #4

boizee, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1984
Thanks DBK and Fiya. No beer?!! That just ain't gonna happen

I expect rock/rock fence issues up top, just not sure what exact flow that becomes a reality. We have a lot of boats (it's Idaho, everyone wants to run their own)...a mix of rafts with one passenger each, and a few smaller cats. Mostly a very strong group. The group gear will be spread widely. We will be filtering water to save on river weight.

I'm waffling between taking my small cat lightly loaded to assist the rafts if needed, or taking my 13' raft lightly loaded w/ my dog (who does not wander and is snake savvy), to have "solidarity" with the rafts.
boicatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015   #5

Bazzaro, Free
I am super impressed on how well round boats when over the rocks.
Old 06-16-2015   #6

Bazzaro, Free
I'd take the 13 and my dog!

I have learned to just take my time when elfing the Selway.
Old 06-16-2015   #7

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
13' + dog. Perfect rig. Allows for better fishing than a cat too. Run it soft and dont try to miss every rock, just hit rocks selectively.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015   #8

Spokane, Washington
Paddling Since: 2000
Ted,
We launched at 1.1' in 2013 4 12.5-14' cats Moderately loaded (by no means "lean and mean")! I would go a little lighter at that stage next time.
The places that can be tricky at those levels:
Washer Woman, but standard left side ledge run, heavier boats with floors probably will briefly hang up.
Ping Pong is a pain, most will probably hang up, but has no real consequence. We ran 4 different routes, everyone hung up, but the guy far right did best. That channel could change from year to year tho!
The rapid at Tony Point pack bridge can be a pain, especially if you want to camp there and need to get left! Other than that, it is straight up river reading rock dodging.
Ladle may be a little tricky, and I think is the only spot where it might be nice to have a lead boat eddy out/lodge up on a rock to help the rafts through the right side run....but center may be open?
Fish hard up top, I remember after Moose the fishing was pretty slow...or maybe the cold beer tasted too good! Of course that was mid July and HOT! So may be different for you.
Have fun!
Nick E.
ps-I was about ready to call and see if you wanted to run Tumwater this weekend....and then I read this....
NWestslope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015   #9

Tacoma, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
Logs in Ladle

There are 3 different logs/wood obstuctions in Ladle Rapid. We ran ladle Thursday 6/11/15.. took a middle route. Right side had long strainer log and what appeared to be a stump blocking a route over that way i wanted to take Will be interesting to see how it gets at lower water. The wood looked pretty fresh and on our first night on the river there was a big thunderstorm ang high winds which may have knocked them in the water.

Middle route worked out for almost everyone in our group but one boat entered a little too far left and flipped..

Also a top of a tree in the start of Little Niagra and i believe salalom Slide on the first day had a tree which made for a tight move.
WaFlyCaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015   #10

Tacoma, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
ladle logs

WaFlyCaster is offline   Reply With Quote