Scat machine in Riggins is gone - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-28-2018   #1

Boise, Idaho
Scat machine in Riggins is gone

While I have not confirmed it with my own eyes I just heard from a very reliable source that there is no longer a scat machine in Riggins.

Please plan accordingly.

If you are coming back through Boise there is a company (called A-Company) that will clean it for you for a fee. I have some friends that have been doing that for a couple years.

BlueTurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2018   #2

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
While I have not confirmed it with my own eyes I just heard from a very reliable source that there is no longer a scat machine in Riggins.

Please plan accordingly.

If you are coming back through Boise there is a company (called A-Company) that will clean it for you for a fee. I have some friends that have been doing that for a couple years.

Are they upgrading it, maybe? I know the Asotin one was upgraded last year.
wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
... there is no longer a scat machine in Riggins.
Oh, Shit!
almortal is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2018   #4

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
I did a quick drive by this morning on the commute to Ltown. There is a sign on the door saying "scat machine closed due to freezing weather". I did not ask at the Chevron station or otherwise confirm its status but there was nothing on the door implying that the machine was gone.
wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018   #5

On The River, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I heard from a local that the Chevron is having the scat machine removed. It's been a hassle for them with people coming and clogging up the parking in the back with trailers etc. From what I heard it sounds like the machine will be re-located up the street to the Forest Service Office that is basically across the street from the bridge that spans the little salmon that you take to and from Salmon River Road.
DoubleShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018   #6

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
The Chevron should be careful what they ask for. We have used that SCAT machine many (many/many/many) times. In EVERY instance we purchased coffee, ice cream, books, hats, etc.

However, the SCAT machine was the ONLY reason we stopped at the Chevron. I cannot see us stopping there for any reason on our way back now.

That "hassle" may end up resulting in lowering sales. Especially for those coming off the Main Salmon; no reason to head into town now. Before, they HAD to head into Riggins. That SCAT machine was/is an excellent mechanism for "forced" customers.
LJPurvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018   #7

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
I'll make it a point not to buy anything there now regardless of if I'm coming off the river or not. If you're heading north, Grangeville isn't that far. South and you have options in New Meadows.
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018   #8

SLC, Utwah
How many coffee purchases would it take to fix 1 cam strap issue that breaks the machine? How many boaters come into the shop that complain about the scat machine being down for maintenance because of a previous cam strap issue? I would guess they took a very hard look at ROI before making the call as they do most other business decisions.
AndTheLab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018   #9

Boise, Idaho
I suppose that would be a problem if the Chevron was responsible for maintaining the SCAT machine. I guess the problem would be that it is a bother to have to inform people that the SCAT machine is not the property or responsibility of the Chevron station.
LJPurvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018   #10

Grangeville, Idaho
I heard the Forest Service is actually working on getting a new one installed at the Hells Canyon NRA, not re-locating the old one. So, there might not be a SCAT machine in Riggins till after this season is over. Bring the RV clean out hoses this year...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Turner is online now   Reply With Quote