Saturday 6-15 Raft recirculating in lowhead dam Saliida town run - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 06-18-2013   #1

Evergreen, Co.
Paddling Since: 2000
Saturday 6-15 Raft recirculating in lowhead dam Saliida town run

Came through fish ladder at lowhead dam on the Salida town run Saturday 6/15 and noticed a blue approx 12 ft raft recircing in the bottom of the damn.
I called 911, and rescue efforts including helicopter showed up shortly after. There was rumor that the raft was manned by two paddlers that were missing??
I never got confirmation if this was true..has anyone heard anything about how the raft went over the damn.

Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013   #2

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Came through fish ladder at lowhead dam on the Salida town run Saturday 6/15 and noticed a blue approx 12 ft raft recircing in the bottom of the damn.
I called 911, and rescue efforts including helicopter showed up shortly after. There was rumor that the raft was manned by two paddlers that were missing??
I never got confirmation if this was true..has anyone heard anything about how the raft went over the damn.
There was a small story in the Mountain Mail yesterday. The two paddlers were found in good shape a while after everyone was called in to look for them. I spoke with a couple Salida PD for a while as they were "looking for bodies" at the office wave. Pretty unclear how they ended up going over the dam. One has to be drunk or oblivious, or both to not see the trail of signs for miles before it.

Really glad they were ok.
Crenshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013   #3

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Mountain Mail Article

Mountain Mail

Casey Kelly, Mail Staff Writer

Emergency crews responded Friday to an overturned raft in the Arkansas River, near the Big Bend low-head dam north of Salida, before the occupants were found safe.
Salida Fire Chief Doug Bess said upon arrival at the scene, his crew found a blue raft overturned in a rapid near the Big Bend dam, which is between the bridges at CR 166 and Colo. 291.
Bess said Colorado Parks and Wildlife officials launched two search boats downstream because initially the occupants of the raft were unaccounted for.
Bess said the occupants were two unidentified young women.
“Over time, speaking with the gentleman up on the hill (above the dam) and another reputable source that came down the river, they verified that the boat had been there since about 11:45 (a.m.),” Bess said.
“We had some private boaters working with throw bags. They got (the raft) out of the low-head dam, and they’re going to get it back over to these two young ladies. Luckily they got out.”
Bess said he did not know where the two women initially went after the raft flipped over.
“Now it’s just a matter of getting them their boat back,” Bess said.
Salida Fire Department, Chaffee County Emergency Medical Services, Colorado Parks and Wildlife and Chaffee County Search and Rescue North responded to the call, according to Bess.
Sawatch Rescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013   #4

Evergreen, Co.
Paddling Since: 2000
Thx for the update. Glad all involved are safe. I would have like to have been there for the removal of the boat, I could have learned a few things. I was clueless as to how it could have been removed by another boat. :/
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013   #5

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
The key to beating the heat is about hanging out in the water, and having shade options. Lots of us put our chairs in the in the water and rig a sun shade using the boats for tie downs.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildh2onriver View Post
The key to beating the heat is about hanging out in the water, and having shade options. Lots of us put our chairs in the in the water and rig a sun shade using the boats for tie downs.
Jeez, I posted on the wrong thread, sorry! That's what I get for multitasking with beer flowing.
Old 06-18-2013   #7

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Hey Ken - What is that powerful beer you're drinking? Coors Light?
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L View Post
Hey Ken - What is that powerful beer you're drinking? Coors Light?
Hahaha! Uhhh, no. Sierra Nevada. Though I've been known to drink a coors light draft back in the day.