San Juan Trimble Camp - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-17-2017   #1

wilson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1967
San Juan Trimble Camp

I've been assigned Trimble Camp for the last night of an early June San Juan trip.
Rivermaps guide said this camp was washed out in 2009.
I've been down the San Juan in early May for the last two years. I don't remember what that camp looked like.
Anybody camp there lately, especially in high water? We'll likely be a party of six.
Also, we were assigned Slickhorn E. Never stayed there and would appreciate info.

tetoncounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2017   #2

edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
We stayed there last May before high water, and it was pretty rough compared to the rest of the sites. It looks like Mars. We were a group of 10 and fit fine, but didn't sleep well as it rained that night and we couldn't help but wonder when the flash was going to hit us.
dakpowderday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Slickhorn is a great/large camp, but I'd consider rowing or motoring out from Slickhorn and potentially skipping Trimble. We camped at Trimble in 2014 and got annihilated by bugs (although it was at lower water), and it's on the smaller side.
jamesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2017   #4

Tonasket, Washington
Paddling Since: 2010
I stayed there late October last year (low, low water). It's a shitty camp with not a lot of space. From my trip report:

The camp we were assigned was Trimble at mile 72.0. It sucked. It had apparently been destroyed in a flash flood. To access the camp you take a short trail from the river and get to a semi-cleared area with a fire ring (which aren’t allowed).

Full TR at Trip Report: San Juan River October 2016 – Wet, Wild, and Scenic

It's still a wonderful river trip, have fun!
wetwildandscenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017   #5

Omak, Washington
Paddling Since: 1989
A group of four of us stayed at Trimble last October and it was no bueno. A friend's river runner's blog has a trip report that describes our experience here.

It worked in a pinch but was our least favorite camp.
CurrentLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017   #6

Ute City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Slickhorn E is on the opposite side of the river than Slickhorn canyon and a bit downstream. If you want to hike you need to stop on your way by, hike, and then proceed down and across to E. We stayed there once, and I remember it being a decent camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
quinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017   #7

Omak, Washington
Paddling Since: 1989
I fished out my RiverMap for the San Juan and here's what I noted:

There's a sweet camp that's not described on the map at approximately RM 59.7 on river right. My notes describe "a good camp w/ rock ledges for kitchen and sleeping. Good groover spot past big boulder upstream of camp." It was our night three camp after launching from Mexican Hat.

I understand that camps below Government Rapid are pre-assigned but I also noted that Oljeto Wash Camp was sweet as of 10/16. A big alluvial sand flat that may get sketchy in a downpour given how big the Oljeto basin is.
CurrentLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017   #8

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetoncounty View Post
I've been assigned Trimble Camp for the last night of an early June San Juan trip.
I've been down the San Juan in early May for the last two years. I don't remember what that camp looked like.
Anybody camp there lately, especially in high water? We'll likely be a party of six.
Also, we were assigned Slickhorn E. Never stayed there and would appreciate info.
Trimble is really rough and getting rougher. You can stay there but it's basically just a rocky shit hole. Not a camp to really cap off a great trip. I'm actually surprised that the BLM is still calling this a camp. It's in a very sketchy spot. If you look at Google earth you will note as of last year the canyon just upstream flashed and carved it's channel down to the bedrock. You would be best served to probably run all the way out to the take out from slickhorn E. Just take an extra day above the reserve camps. Also, Slickhorn E can be diminished in size depending on water level. Its on the leftside and has no access to the hike.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017   #9

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Tie Boats to the Canyon Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetoncounty View Post
Trimble Camp is a Mosquito Infested Hell-Hole. In light of that, one can tie to the canyon wall in the shade and camp on-boat. Put the groover on the downwind boat. There are a few places that are out of the current and in the eddies.
Old 03-20-2017   #10
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Keep an eye on the camp site page, in case someone cancels and you can get a different site. A second option could be to try and change sites for the last night, so basically grab a slick rock site for the day you have trimble, and take an extra day up riv somewhere, provided there is availability.
I have camped at slick rock E before, got on the water early, and had no problem busting out that last section of lake effect river by early afternoon, so that could also be a 3rd option, just skip Trimble.
I always hate taking out from a river trip early, but thought I would offer up a couple of potentially helpful options.

Have a great trip, still an awesome section!!
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote