San Juan River Pumpkins - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Old 6 Days Ago   #31

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepart View Post
I saw 250 dead cows this spring between Ouray and Sandwash. The White River in Rangely is armored with Oldsmobiles and Chevys. The Colorado in Grand Junction is a meth lab homeless camp. The San Juan from Shiprock to Montezuma Creek is a Russian olive forest.
So are you saying that because other places are shitholes, it should be OK for places like the San Juan to have dozens of rotting pumpkins? Not sure I like where that's heading...

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6 Days Ago   #32

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
No tongue in cheek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heregos View Post
Raymo, I'm assuming you're response is tongue in cheek. It's hard to believe anyone could say what you did as a serious statement since it makes absolutely no sense rationally.
My first encounter with pumpkin's was on a october trip in 1972 down Westwater, spotted four pumpkin's, I had been down Westwater in previous years, not in October. I had mentioned to older boatmen that had been down Westwater many years before me, about the pumpkin's, a few months later, no internet back than and they had seen or hear of pumpkin's on the river for a few years. Than in 1979 doing a pleasure flight, around Westwater in November, by the Black Rocks, on the top of the tall rock were six pumpkin's. Seems like a yearly tradition for some rivers whether we like it or not. After we pass along, the pumpkin's are here to stay for many years, whether we like it or not. So don't lose sleep over them, is all I'm saying.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #33
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
Do what i do. Just go and halfway thru the trip assign some one to figure it out. Then when they think they have it go..."wait i think that dinner was closer to $90"...
Advertisement

Old 6 Days Ago   #34
SarahofTheWaves

FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
Divided we stand and fall.
Our rivers are lacking in organic material because of the way we manage water, dams; the reason why chub are disappearing. Yes, trash and unsightly, but pumpkins are organic and will decompose and wash away in the spring floods. Humans are much harder on the river ecosystem than a bunch of rotting pumpkins.
Western desert rivers. Not so sure about the Rogue.
S
sarahkonamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #35
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I bet a beverage that El Flaco is the pumpkin packer. But someone will have to tell him that I blamed him since he is never on here anymore.
Old 4 Days Ago   #36

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitwoodc6 View Post
We just did this float last week and we filled an entire trash bag with pumpkins, many of which were rotten. I like the idea, hate the execution.

Huh.

How is it better to throw them (and the plastic trash bag) into a landfill than to let them biodegrade on the rocks above the river over the next year or three?

What net harm is caused from leaving them out in the air?

Honest question.
Old 3 Days Ago   #37

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
So are you saying that because other places are shitholes, it should be OK for places like the San Juan to have dozens of rotting pumpkins? Not sure I like where that's heading...
I am simply saying that the environmental ethics of most rafters had crossed the boundary into elitism. While ignoring real problems that our rivers have, many of us seem to use our dedication to kitchen scrim, fire blankets and dishwater straining as a way to place ourselves upon a pedestal that we do not deserve.

Also, I have passed by a fair share of pumpkins along the San Juan and my blood never boiled. I would be a little annoyed if someone left them in a camp, but on a rock doesn't bother me. I am glad someone is having fun. After all, no resource use can truly be done without leaving a trace, therefore anyone who goes on a river or goes camping must agree that there is some acceptable level of impact. The only item up for debate is where that line should be drawn. In my opinion, that line should clearly not allow for wanton disposal of fruits and vegetables along the river, but perhaps a few deliberate pumpkins during the month of October could be an exception.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #38

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
Huh.

How is it better to throw them (and the plastic trash bag) into a landfill than to let them biodegrade on the rocks above the river over the next year or three?

What net harm is caused from leaving them out in the air?

Honest question.
It will harm some Summit County rafter when he or she floats by and has their rafting experience ruined by seeing a pumpkin left by someone from below their perceived social hierarchy.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #39

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
I am simply saying that the environmental ethics of most rafters had crossed the boundary into elitism. While ignoring real problems that our rivers have, many of us seem to use our dedication to kitchen scrim, fire blankets and dishwater straining as a way to place ourselves upon a pedestal that we do not deserve.

After all, no resource use can truly be done without leaving a trace, therefore anyone who goes on a river or goes camping must agree that there is some acceptable level of impact. The only item up for debate is where that line should be drawn.
Well-stated.

If you think about it, we're really not "saving the planet". We could go on a binge of utter destrution, and the planet will rebound. We are "saving the humans" for our kids, for our grandkids, for the assholes in the raft behind us.

Yet...as a species, are we worth saving?
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #40

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
It will harm some Summit County rafter when he or she floats by and has their rafting experience ruined by seeing a pumpkin left by someone from below their perceived social hierarchy.

This is sort of what I was getting at: Is there actual resource damage taking place, or just tweaked sensibilities?