San Juan River Pumpkins - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #21

Lewiston, Idaho
not getting it

Seeing this post makes me glad that we ran the San Juan a few weeks prior to whichever yahoos left trash (pumpkins) along the river.

I worked as a river guide for many years. As guides we used to sometimes talk about certain guests/passengers that "got it" and those that didn't. Getting it referred to people that had a sense of what being on the river meant. Whoever left the pumpkins obviously didn't get it. The same was true of the groups we saw (and heard) on the San Juan, and on the Lower Salmon earlier in the year, who had a music playing loudly as they floated down the river.

Being against leaving pumpkins or playing music loud enough for other groups to hear has nothing to do with being against having fun. It's being against the arrogance of subjecting others, with no choice in the matter, to seeing their garbage and/or hearing their noise.

heregos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #22

I couldn’t agree with you more and I believe most would say the same. It’s always a few ignorant people that ruin it for the rest of us nobody wants to hear or see anyone else’s trash
Johnzstz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #23

Castle Rock, Colorado
We put down kitchen mats, shit in a box, strain our dish water, piss in a bucket. So much of what we do is how to leave the river in just as good, if not better condition than we found it. Leaving pumpkins does not follow these principals. Do everyone a favor, leave the pumpkins at home.
Sparks1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #24

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
The pumpkin thing has been going on for a long, long time, longer than alot of people have been boating, it's been a tradition this time of year. I haven't heard of any rivers being destroyed by them yet. Maybe an old Indian tradition, I don't know. Pumpkin's go back thousands of years, from what I understand.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #25

Lewiston, Idaho
Raymo, I'm assuming you're response is tongue in cheek. It's hard to believe anyone could say what you did as a serious statement since it makes absolutely no sense rationally.
Old 1 Week Ago   #26

Lewiston, Idaho
clarifying

And just to clarify, the reference to groups playing music as in my earlier response was to playing recorded music over speakers while floating down the river. It was not a reference to people playing live.
Old 1 Week Ago   #27

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Boating season must be over.

Time to settle in for a great winter of bitchin at each other on the 'buzz. Woohoo!

Where's that riverboard kid when you need him?
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #28

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I saw 250 dead cows this spring between Ouray and Sandwash. The White River in Rangely is armored with Oldsmobiles and Chevys. The Colorado in Grand Junction is a meth lab homeless camp. The San Juan from Shiprock to Montezuma Creek is a Russian olive forest.

Perhaps the rafting community is being a little elitist about pumpkins on our sacred stretches of canyon-bound, dam-controlled river.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #29
Psychedelic Pirate

Grants Pass, Jefferson
Paddling Since: 1999
My season isn't even close to being over lol! I've got an Illinois, Chetco, and Grand trip already planned before the end of the year.
Old 1 Week Ago   #30

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by heregos View Post
And just to clarify, the reference to groups playing music as in my earlier response was to playing recorded music over speakers while floating down the river. It was not a reference to people playing live.
Since we are getting into curmudgeon territory... If you have a problem with someone playing their preferred music on a speaker... I wouldn't stop there...I've been on trips that some out of tune guy with a guitar that only knows 5 songs got old pretty quick and would have vastly preferred someone with a bluetooth speaker playing more varied and enjoyable music.

Then again...I have no problem with people using a bluetooth speaker on the river at a reasonable volume. I know it adds to the experience for me and lots of other people.... and no...earbuds aren't the same since you can't hear the environment with them in.

I think the Pumpkin thing has gotten silly and should probably be greatly reduced if not stopped. I mean...what does it really add to a trip? If its something you like to see...bring a few of them to set up around camp and then take them home with you.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote