Salt River Permit Group Size - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-30-2019   #1

Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1983
Salt River Permit Group Size

Hey All,

Putting on the Salt 4/3. After printing out the RecGov online permit I noticed that my Group Size # was incorrect. Have a call out to Donald asking if it that # can be adjusted at the putin as long as the # of participants stays at 15 or less. Have any of you Buzzards had to adjust the Group Size after printing out the permit? Since my group is traveling in from all over the country I do not want any surprises at the putin.

Thanks and Happy Boating

kayakingphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2019   #2
Be Like Water

Rivertime, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I had the same thing happen on a late season Lodore trip last year, where the system dropped my group size to 1 person. I eventually got someone on the phone at rec.gov who was clueless and unhelpful. One thing you might try is to go back on rec.gov to see if you can change your group size yourself and reprint your permit with the correct group number (this might not work since you've already printed your permit out).

As far as the Salt, we just got back from our trip last week. At the road down to the put-in I was asked by the Tribal Police to produce my river permit and adjoining permits to both camp at the put-in and for the first 2 nights on the reservation. My group size wasn't checked at all as the rest of the group met up later without producing any paperwork. I think this process is really hit and miss. We didn't see any other ranger/park employee for the entire trip. No one checked us out at the put in at all. I would highly suggest that you not play around with the Tribal Permits. Get them online, it's an easy process, $25 per person per day on the river, and $15 per person to camp at the put-in.

I think the tribal police are most concerned re their use permit, not the river permit. If it were me I'd try to call Rec.gov to address this and I'd try to see if I could fix it myself online.

I can't guarantee that you'll have the same experience but I wouldn't sweat it at all, just tell your group to meet at the put in and make sure they all by their tribal permits. I'd be shocked if you have anyone look at your group size/permit.

I continue to think that Rec.gov is a mess and look back fondly on the days we didn't get our permits from that system.

Have fun! That is a really great float!!!
Liquido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019   #3

Arnold, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakingphotog View Post
Hey All,

Putting on the Salt 4/3. After printing out the RecGov online permit I noticed that my Group Size # was incorrect. Have a call out to Donald asking if it that # can be adjusted at the putin as long as the # of participants stays at 15 or less. Have any of you Buzzards had to adjust the Group Size after printing out the permit? Since my group is traveling in from all over the country I do not want any surprises at the putin.

Thanks and Happy Boating

Don has always been very responsive... unless hes on the river. It is the weekend though, so maybe he actually got to have some personal recreation time.
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2019   #4

Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1983
FYI for those who are faced w/a similar issue. This is Don's response to my inquiry:

We don’t care how many people as long as it is under 15. We don’t really care who they are either.

Drive safely.

Thanks.

Don R Sullivan
Wilderness River Manager
Tonto National Forest
(92 595-1647
kayakingphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Ranger will check for toilet and firepan, he might count people if it looks close to 15. That's it.

Tribal Police thoroughly check for their permits.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote