This from Steve last year at this time. If I am not mistaken the snow pack this year is running at about the same as then. However we had two fantastic late spring snow events that pushed the Salt to better then ever. Plan plan plan....and hope hope hope.....and just go go go.....
Greetings Waterborne People:
I am sending you this email because you applied for a permit to boat through the Salt River Canyon this season. If you wish to be removed from my email list please feel free to be creative in the subject line telling me. Let’s either go with sugary sweet, or downright rude.
Somebody asked me if I was going to send out another email blast, which I didn’t know I had been doing, but was really glad to hear that I could still blast.
This is a quick note to tell everybody that today is the last day to pay for the permit if you were selected. You pretty much have to do all that stuff to accept and pay on your rec.gov profile. I don’t have much control over their servers, so if you have payment issues you have to contact their help desk.
At this point, if it was me I would pay, and then watch the snow pack and weather and make the call, three weeks or more out, when you still have time to get the permit fee back. If your permit is in early March, and you don’t have three weeks or more, it’s a dice roll; I would roll the dice (but maybe that’s because I don’t live in my truck anymore, and, like many boaters, I have high risk tolerance).
If you want to transfer a permit to someone else:
First, have whoever got drawn pay for it.
Please wait until after February, 22nd to contact me about it.
Write me an email from the premittee’s email address, used in the application, requesting the transfer, and including all of the relevant information on the front of the permit for the new permittee (Name, address, and stuff).
Modify your copy of the permit to reflect the change, and I will do the same on our end so our rangers stopping by to visit you will know what’s up.
Then give me a call on my cell if you have questions: (92
You do not need to do this if you are going to be on the trip. You need not be the trip leader to be the permittee.
I recommend buying you permit form the White Mountain Apache Tribe (2-days, $25 a day) online before the trip. It also allows you to camp at the put-in the night before your trip: https://wmatoutdoor.org/purchase_permit.html
It has been cold here and it looks like we are going to have some water this year. We are showing 8.6 inches of snow water equivalent (swe) at the Hannigan Meadows gauge so not too bad, and I think that this may be reading low (it may be more like 10 in swe). Tomorrow we are supposed to get hit with a large cold snow storm with the snow level down low enough to snow here in Globe at 4,000 feet. It has the potential to add a foot or two of snow to our basin; very exciting.
As I write it is 1,660 at the put-in and dropping. Here is the graph for the put-in from the Colorado River Basin Forecast Center (CBRFC), which looks pretty accurate to me:
With the low elevation snow that is here now, and about to be added to, I think it will come up to runnable levels pretty quickly in March. It should be noted, however, that I am frequently wrong.
Here are some websites you may wish to visit if you want to follow along that many of you have seen in my previous emails:
The website for SNOTEL data is: http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/
For the Salt River, under Snow (SNOTEL and Snow Course) click on “Data”. Click on “Daily SWE Report-Current Water Year: By SNOTEL Site”. Click on the drop-down list of states for Arizona and then scroll down to the “Hannigan Meadows” site. Simple, no? Sometimes I also look at “Baldy” which is also in the Salt River Basin. The historic values are also on this site if you want to compare to other years.
For website for current streamflow data in Arizona is: http://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/current/?type=flow
Scroll down to the Salt River Basin. The put-in is “Salt River Near Chrysotile” and the take-out is “Salt River Near Roosevelt”.
If you want someone smarter than me to predict the river level, this is the website for the Colorado Basin River Forecast Center: http://www.cbrfc.noaa.gov/
Click on the blue dot for “SLC: Salt, Chrysotile, NR” and view the forecast. Click on the forecast if you wish to change the parameters of the prediction.
I usually look at the weather forecast for the coming week on this webpage right before I leave town: http://www.weather.com/maps/planner
And this one:;https://www.wunderground.com/intellicast
I search for Globe and then hit the 10 day forecast tab. I look at Alpine AZ for close to the snow pack.
Or there is this colorful one from NOAA: http://www.goes.noaa.gov/goes-w.html
And here is a link to the free map on our websitehttps://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsbdev3_018592.pdf
You can use it to start the fire when you are done with a page.
And one more thing, I stand corrected; I guess I was kind of winging’ it. Anyway, please see Larry’s slightly edited response to my previous email, which I found to be very informative:
Larry here, I’m the retired NOAA/NWS boater that you interacted with in 2017 about the CBRFC’s forecast for the Salt, and I did run the Salt in late March that year.
Just reading your email. Although there has been a pretty good southern storm track this year and it looks like it’s going to continue, technically the El Nino has not formed yet and the tell-tale coupling of the atmospheric pattern to the warm ocean has not yet been observed. NOAA/NWS Climate Prediction Center issues a monthly bulletin on El Nino (http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product...ensodisc.shtml
) and they are still expecting it to happen, but most of the winter will have passed by then. A forecast of El Nino gets a lot of media coverage, but sometimes the media forgets to follow up.
I love this job. Thanks Larry.
Thanks for stopping by. Now let’s go boating.
Forest Service Shield
Don R. Sullivan
Wilderness River Manager