Salt River - is it worth the drive from Seattle? - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #21

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
"Salt River - is it worth the drive from Seattle?"

Yes, you will in short time, real time be able to say "We ain't in Kansas(or where ever your are from) no more".

It is worth rolling the dice up to the last few weeks to commit to going. That is the nature of the Salt.

Having been there a half dozen times or more, Salt is the spice of life and the best way to kick off a year of boating.

The combination of culture, ecology, geology, locality, diverse camp sites and fairly unique whitewater it is worth every effort if for no reason other than to say, been there, done that, and it was sublime.

GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #22

Vacaville, California
Paddling Since: 2016
Make it about the people and the journey and not about the river, and it will be worth it!
Chico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #23

Seattle, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by codycleve View Post
Always glad to give out any info that I can and help someones trip come together.

I just checked the stats for the video and it went from 1 to 3 views a day to 63 on the day permits where released. It's kind of fun to watch, i expect the same for my low water middle fork video come tomorrow.
Yep, I expect my crew has helped pad your Youtube stats a bit for the low water MFS vid - I have it saved and shared with some friends. We have an off season MFS permit in September this year. It will be my first time on the MFS - I am sure I just need to memorize your lines and I will never get stuck. Counting on it.

Dave
davbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #24

Seattle, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRon View Post
"Salt River - is it worth the drive from Seattle?"

Yes, you will in short time, real time be able to say "We ain't in Kansas(or where ever your are from) no more".

It is worth rolling the dice up to the last few weeks to commit to going. That is the nature of the Salt.

Having been there a half dozen times or more, Salt is the spice of life and the best way to kick off a year of boating.

The combination of culture, ecology, geology, locality, diverse camp sites and fairly unique whitewater it is worth every effort if for no reason other than to say, been there, done that, and it was sublime.
Hey GeoRon

Well put, and a really compelling argument for making the trip. Now I am just praying for snow/snowpack. Hey BTW, and I can't recall if I asked you this before, but did you and your wife run the MFS in hardshells in August 2018, followed by the Main (you in a dory, your wife in a hardshell)? If so, we met at Corn Creek then again at the Black Creek scout, and various points along the river. We were a group of 4 boats, one IK, and a gaggle of kids. My wife and I often talk about you guys as we plan our ideal retirement. If it wasn't you, excuse the digression.

Dave
davbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #25

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by davbaker View Post
Hey GeoRon

Well put, and a really compelling argument for making the trip. Now I am just praying for snow/snowpack. Hey BTW, and I can't recall if I asked you this before, but did you and your wife run the MFS in hardshells in August 2018, followed by the Main (you in a dory, your wife in a hardshell)? If so, we met at Corn Creek then again at the Black Creek scout, and various points along the river. We were a group of 4 boats, one IK, and a gaggle of kids. My wife and I often talk about you guys as we plan our ideal retirement. If it wasn't you, excuse the digression.

Dave
That was Infidien. I'd loved to have had his life and retirement. I was with him as far as Corn Ck that year in hard shell shelf support where he(picking up his dory) and Patty continued on. He is on the Grand now doing me the favor of ground truthing my Sunrise/Sunset graphs. I got a text from him yesterday(Garmin Inreach) from Bass saying that all is well. I'll text him your regards.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #26

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I'd take the Salt 10x out of 10 over the Rogue.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #27

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
I'd take the Salt 10x out of 10 over the Rogue.
But then we must remember, the Illinois is next door to the Rogue.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #28

GJ, Colorado
Quote:
But then we must remember, the Illinois is next door to the Rogue.

Totally different conversation.

But while you're changing the subject, I'll note that the LCR is on the way from Seattle to the Salt...

...and I'd take the LCR over anything that's been discussed in this thread. Every time.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #29

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
Totally different conversation.

But while you're changing the subject, I'll note that the LCR is on the way from Seattle to the Salt...

...and I'd take the LCR over anything that's been discussed in this thread. Every time.
While we are off subject, I'd love to know more about the LCR even though it is now out of my league.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #30

GJ, Colorado
Quote:
While we are off subject, I'd love to know more about the LCR even though it is now out of my league.

Someday I'll get around to that TR.

You don't have to paddle anything harder than class III.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8A3A5902.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	455.1 KB
ID:	42643   Click image for larger version

Name:	8A3A6727.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	440.0 KB
ID:	42645  

Click image for larger version

Name:	8A3A6779.jpg