Salmon river 2 ft. vs. 4 ft.? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-25-2017   #1

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Salmon river 2 ft. vs. 4 ft.?

Hi All,

Last year we ran the main end of July with flows around 3k. How much different is it end of June? The hydrograph made it very obvious that the flows have great variability but will likely be in the 4' range, about 4 times the flow. Do the rapids flush out, are the camps much smaller, etc. Any tips would be appreciated?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2017   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
The highest I've done was 3.5 ft. Big Mallard was ugly at that level. First time in 17 MS trips that I've run BM on the right. I got up close & personal with the elephant rock at the bottom of Elkhorn. Got bounced around a bit at Five Mile. Chittam was exciting, but Vinegar was easier. Everything else was ok as I remember. I think that was the trip our river dog got launched at Black Creek. She swam it in style, eddied out, and jumped back it the boat. She was a trooper. RIP old girl.
Old 03-25-2017   #3

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
My notes agree with cataraftgirl and indicate that at 4ft we liked a right hand run at Black Creek, Big Mallard and Elkhorn. My notes also indicate that it is high enough that some of the beach camps are not - that is they are not beaches or camps! Some of the camps are way better at higher flows as the approaches are rocky when it is lower, Warren comes to mind. We've been running the Main approx once a year at ranges of 0.5<6ft for the last several years but like to play it cautious and usually check out Black Creek, BM & Chittam (which is the rapid that scares me the most even before I read "Anything Worth Doing") - I'm a fearful wuss and don't like surprises.
I also agree there is something that lurks in 5 Mile at higher flows (above 4 I think) there's a lateral off the left than really got our attention one time. For some reason Bailey has a bead on one member of our group and just loves to mess with her but I think its psychological at this point.
wshutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2017   #4

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
On a similar note - what's the water temp like at the end of June? We've done a end of July trip and the water was awesome - swimming everywhere.
Old 03-26-2017   #5

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I don't recall our late June trip being that different as far as water temps. but we did have good weather with plenty of sun and warm temps. I have heard of others doing late June trips that were rainy & cold. I think the weather & air temps are more of an issue than the water temps.
Old 03-29-2017   #6

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2010
launched last year June 30. Weather was great, water temps were nice, rapids were fun, beaches were perfect, lots of posion ivy and no bees yet! dont recall what the level was though...ran Black Creek on the right (fun), Big M on left, Elk Horn left..guessing this year will have much more water at that time though.
UTMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote