Ruby this weekend. - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-19-2015   #1

New Castle, Colorado
Ruby this weekend.

So I realize I'm probably beating a dead horse, and I apologize for that, but I want to make sure I'm doing things safely.

I'm putting on Ruby/Horsethief this weekend, camping at BR 8. The gauge right now is at 29,300. My "group" consists of my 12 ft Maravia, and a hyside IK. I am still a fairly novice boater, and the most experienced of the group. I've ran Ruby twice at about half the level, and just finished a week long guide school in Durango.

What should I expect at these levels? Is it "just" fast moving flat water? My current plan is to have the IKer jump on my boat through Black Rocks as I imagine that will be the worst part.

Sorry if I'm asking a repeated question. I am fairly confident on the oars after my guide class, but having never done Ruby at this level want to make sure I'm being reasonable and keep my passengers safe. Thanks!

JPG87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2015   #2
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I can understand your level of excitement and worry. I've done Ruby a couple of times, but never at this level yet. But knowing the river and obstacles, what you will find are big whirlpools and eddy lines around Black Rocks. Those are sometimes nastier than rapids because they are unpredictable and not much can be done once a whirlpool will grab you and sink your boat.

When you are going to go through Black Rocks, make sure you stay on the sticks and try to keep in the current to avoid the eddy lines. Practice rescue swimming in the calm water before black rocks and throw rope technique. Have a serious discussion with your passengers about river safety, tighten those life jackets (they save lives). I tell my groups to tighten until you can't breathe, especially the lower strap. I check everyone in my group usually myself by yanking on the straps, especially kids.

Good luck and be safe out there!
Old 06-19-2015   #3

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Still just a float, but swirly

Hi there,
We will be camping at BR8 on Friday night, so we will try to leave it nice for you.
At this level it is a very fast float. There are some swirly sections in BR, but it is still pretty much a float. Be careful not to miss your camp, because they sneak up on you pretty quickly. Most of the eddies are gone, so you might want someone on the front of the boat with a bow line to help you get to shore. It is a lot of fun with the pool toys, but make sure everyone understands how fast the water is and PFDs are a very smart idea all of the time.
Oh, and a sand stake is a good idea, too.
Have a great weekend!

Kim
kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2015   #4

New Castle, Colorado
Kim, when you say Friday do you mean tonight? If so, that's when we have black rocks 8 reserved.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
JPG87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015   #5

Aurora, Colorado
Oh, nope. Sorry. I'm getting ahead of myself. We will be there NEXT Friday. Sorry. I am getting confused with my trips. I guess its a good thing when you have so many fun things going on that you mix them up?

Have fun and let us know how it goes. You will be fine!

Kim
Old 06-19-2015   #6

aurora, Colorado
I would take something to make shade with.....

Kim make sure you take lots of iced beverages or your trip partners will be upset!
lazylabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015   #7

Aurora, Colorado
No frosty beverages for you! Oh, wait, you will have the cooler. Doh!
Old 06-19-2015   #8
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by kclowe View Post
No frosty beverages for you! Oh, wait, you will have the cooler. Doh!
"THE cooler"???

Do you mean the dedicated cocktail ice cooler?
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015   #9

Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
We ran it last Sunday as a day trip 29000 ish it took us just 41/2 hours. We actually stopped at BR 8 for lunch. It wasn't super easy to get into but way makeable, just be ready and athletic on the oars, and have someone ready to jump out with your bow line. Nothing to worry about at all as it's just a fast moving lake. Really fun at these levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Whiterim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015   #10

Lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
We ran this section this week, Monday through Wednesday at about 28K with a group of 7 including an IK and paddle board. We put in at Fruita to add a few miles to the trip since the water was moving so fast. It will be a good idea to attach the Ik to your raft well before you get into the black rocks. The posts for BR 1-3 were buried under the water but there is a large strainer and wave between BR 4 and 5 camps. As long as you stay in the tongue to the left of the strainer you will be ok. It is just strong eddie lines below that into your camp at BR 8. It was a great trip and the kids really enjoyed it
Zak8008 is offline   Reply With Quote