Ruby Horse thief - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Unread 03-21-2019   #1

Nederland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
Ruby Horse thief

My wife and I are considering floating RHT this summer. We have a 7 month old. Does anyone have some advise on floating with a baby???

Aflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2019   #2
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Same as any kid trip.

1. Absolute constant awareness of your surroundings.
2. One competent adult, that isn't rowing, per kid under 10.
3. Sun protection
4.Toys and snacks to keep them occupied so they arent annoying you. (bottle or nipple and attention may be all for a 7 MO)
5. shit to keep them comfy in all weather situations.
6. PFD's always on if they are anywhere near the water. Don't think mine took his off in camp until bedtime until he was 10-12. Lil shit was always racin' down to the water to play with toy boats etc.

You might leave the dog behind so there isn't an added distraction unless the dog is super chill on the boat.
Unread 03-22-2019   #3

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Sunshade, sunshade and oh make sure you have a sunshade.

Bring the car seat as they are comfortable in it, good place for them to take naps, under that sunshade.

Towel or light blanket to cover them up for nap time.
and everything ZBaird said.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2019   #4

Denver, Colorado
You might look at more of a shoulder season time frame when the heat isn't so intense. And still use a bimini.
markhusbands is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2019   #5

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 92
we will be doing the same thing this summer!
Quiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2019   #6
Sponsoring Vendors

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Also, do keep track of the flows. When that section gets around 10,000 CFS and higher there are some really squirrley eddy lines that can definitely flip a boat.

www.DOWNRIVEREQUIP.com
Toll Free: 1-888-467-2144
Down River Equipment is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2019   #7

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
The only concern would be the heat. 100 is not uncommon in the summer but my kids spent plenty of time in the heat and are now teenagers (I live in Grand Junction). You have read a bunch of real concerns and recommendation. Absolutely, take your infant and relish the experience because you will soon have a teenager! Tag team the child care so everyone can enjoy the river. R/HT is a beautiful part of the Colorado. Take a lot of picture, you will soon have a teenager!
Unread 03-25-2019   #8

broomfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
The heat would be a concern for me... one of our runs last year it was 110 at the put in. It was some HOT river days.
neilur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2019   #9

Ft. Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
We took our kids down at 11mo & 2y.o. in late July, we had plenty of shade but we did not anticipate one of the worst wind storms we’ve ever dealt with. Thankfully, we had great support from everyone with us so that we could focus on rowing and keeping our baby comfortable. So my advice is make sure you take your most trusted friends.

*Bug spray

We did not use a car seat as it is very cumbersome and a pain to strap in. We use something that has been called a Peapod, it kind of looks like a baby kennel or mini tent and that worked really well on the raft & is easy to strap in.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2019   #10

Fort Collins
I would add to the concerns of sun protection and shade, the need for constant hydration. I am not an expert, nor do I know what the medical community says, but when we took our 6 month old daughter hiking in Arhes NP, we have her water in addition to nursing just to keep her hydrated in the desert. Nursing gave her the calories and meals she needed, but I felt like the added water helped her stay hydrated. We also kept her covered and protected from the sun. I think we discussed it with our pediatrician before hand too, but that was many years ago, and my memory has faded.

With older kids, we take crystal light, and make that up alot. We enjoy having flavoured beverages over water. Nalgene makes a 1/2 gallon rectangular jug that works really well for it.