Ruby Horesthief permits? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-12-2016   #1

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Ruby Horesthief permits?

So this is the first time I have tried to get a RH permit now that permits are required. I found the Rec.gov site very unfriendly. I was hoping to do a 3 night trip. Taking it slow with the kiddos. Is it really $56.00 per night or do you pay once for the permit? Do you have to reserve each campsite individually. I tried contacting the customer assistance number and despite being "caller #2" I sat on hold for 18 mins an 3 secs before I had to hang up. I'd appreciate any input advice. Thanks.

Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2016   #2

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Looks pretty straightforward on the website. The $6 is a one time fee and the nightly rate depends on your group size.

The good news is any more than 2 nights on RH is too many. If you do it right and get an early start that's still 1 full day and 2 3/4 days. I think this is their first season using Rec.gov but you should be able to see which sites are already taken and just submit the ones you want.

I would be willing to bet the customer service is M-F and even if it says it isn't you will have better luck tomorrow.
cschmidt1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016   #3
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Sad to say it is per night.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2016   #4

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschmidt1023 View Post

The good news is any more than 2 nights on RH is too many.

I'd have to disagree. A layover day is a great way to enjoy this section. Rec.gov makes it difficult to do this. I was very much in favor of going to an online system, but some tweaks to their process should happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
skipowpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016   #5

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Granted RH is not a whitewater rafters dream, but it is beautiful and it is a great place to start the kids out adventuring on a desert river. Why give me a hard time if I want to spend three nights enjoying the place with my kids?

My point was- the website is not very intuitive. After you have used it a few times it probably gets better. It is very difficult to look at availability of campsites over a week to plan an extended trip. Also I was really surprised by the cost. I am totally on board with $56 per trip, but $56 per night does seem excessive. I just wanted to see if that was others experience as well, or if I had somehow signed up wrong and was paying three times too much.
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016   #6

Denver, Colorado
If you make the reservation for three nights at once, I think it's $50 per night and you get charged the $6 fee just once. Yeah $156 is a lot for three nights on the river, unless you have a big group to split the cost with. If you aren't going over the weekend you can make the reservation for all three nights at once. The weekend spots are taken quickly and probably need to be booked separately as they become available.

Camping Information

This will describe the campsites rather than having to do research for each site. Hope that helps!
neendownstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017   #7

Carbondale, Colorado
I haven't dealt with RHT since it went Rec.gov, and had a similar question to Paul B's. Looking at the website, it says that children under 16 are free. I'm assuming that that means that I can book a trip with 5 adults and x number of children and pay the fee for a small (1-5 person) trip. Anyone know for sure if that's the case?

Also, any idea if I can book a 3 night trip, and have people launch on day 2 and meet me (on my permit)?
I know on most permitted rivers that's a no-go, but it is Ruby Horsethief, and I couldn't find the typical verbiage about groups always being together on the rules and regs page.

And lastly- if I want weekend dates, I need to book hem one day at a a time as they become available?
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017   #8

Denver, Colorado
I don't know for sure, but I would interpret the "kids camp for free" to mean that up to five adults = $20 fee. It also does appear that you would have to book as the days become available, so that'd mean two days in a row for a two nighter.
markhusbands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017   #9

Denver, Colorado
"Dogs are considered part of your permit's group total and fees are assessed for dogs just as they are for people."

And I guess that this means dogs under 16 are also allowed to camp for free.
markhusbands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017   #10

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
The $6 is charged per permit. If you book several nights at one time you are charged the $6 plus your nightly camping fee. If you book each site individuality you are charged $6 each time because the system views it as mailing several permits.

Kids 16 and under are always free, if you have 5 over the age of 17 and 20 under 17 your fee is $20 per camp per night. There is a cap of 25 bodies (including dogs) per site, some sites are smaller though.

Your group does need to launch together and stay together on the river. This is a stipulation on the permit and if you have a group that launches the next day, you could potentially get a ticket for breaking a permit stipulation.

If there are any more questions, I would be happy to clarify!

Alex Martin
BLM GJFO
970-244-3025
or email- [email protected]
BLM Ruby Horsethief is offline   Reply With Quote