RRFW Mission Statement? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-17-2013   #1

Craig, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
RRFW Mission Statement?

Hello everyone, a lot of water has run under the bridge.... lawsuits, etc. since RRFW came on the scene. "Promoting river resource protection through wilderness management" is quoted on the RRFW site, but was does that mean exactly? So, here's my question - If RRFW was in charge of all river running activity in the GC what would it look like today? What place would commercial rafting in the GC have today? I respect Tom and his opinion, just don't know exactly where RRFW stands currently.

water wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2013   #2
DailyBoater

Wheredat, USA
Six days later and nobody can answer this. Interesting that nobody knows.
johnryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013   #3

Hi,

Been kind of wondering myself. Tom doesn't usually miss an opportunity to tell folks about his organization.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2013   #4

How about "Promoting a no-compromise no-motors agenda that sounds really good to lots of private boaters but will be dead on arrival in any real world stakeholder discussions and will make an outfitter-guided GC trip impossible for anyone that can't pony up $10,000/person and take 3 weeks off work."
Old 12-24-2013   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by water wizard View Post
So, here's my question - If RRFW was in charge of all river running activity in the GC what would it look like today? What place would commercial rafting in the GC have today?

Tom's group submitted a proposed management plan scenario that would have 2 private and 2 commercial oar powered launches daily every day of the year. If all trips were filled, this would result in about a half million user days yearly - many more than the current plan allows and many in the winter season. It would also result in many more rowing trips being in sight of each other for hours which would violate the management plan criteria for group to group contacts and may cause the NPS to throttle back the number of launches allowed.

So you'd either be in sight of other groups much of the day, or you'd be competing for a much smaller number of launches than currently given.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013   #6

Flagstaff, Arizona
Hi all, I have been away, and am heading out to hike in Grand Canyon again for a few weeks. Looks like some folks out to take shots at volunteers trying their best to get timely information out to river runners.

It's simple really. RRFW does not decide anything. We base our advocacy on what the mission says.

We don't do secret deals, and we don't make decisions and advocate for those decisions without telling our membership while asking for yearly membership dues.

Andy, four rowing trips a day leave Lee's Ferry in the summertime along with other motorized trips. It would work, but is only one option. I am sorry you don't like it, but it would actually be within the guidelines of the Colorado River Management Plan, even with all those user days...

You all have a Great Holiday and wonderful 2014.
Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013   #7

Hi,

So we see here a sort of typical TM interchange.

1. Someone asks what appears to be a straighforward question.

2. Tom evades a direct answer.

3. Tom then diverts by taking a shot at un-named river organization that everyone knows is GCPBA.

4. Tom adds final tangential information that further distracts from thrust of original question.

How ironic that the most persistent complaints about the way GPCBA is run are from a former GPCBA president who couldn't find support for his own views on his own Board (selected by the methods he now decries), quit, and who now is the self-appointed head of a river organization that has no representational structure, no paid membership, no annual meetings, and no useful working relationship with the Park an organization that effectively takes its direction from the mind of just one person.

But I digress. Anyone who would like to know how to obtain and use their own secret decoder ring in order to gain access to privileged GCPBA information, feel free to contact me off-list.

Have a great Christmas!!

Rich Phillips
Old 12-24-2013   #8

Craig, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Thanks Tom for your reply and really do appreciate your passion for the GC.... not trying to take a shot at anyone. My adult daughter has CP and hope someday to take her on a GC river trip which would necessitate a shorter motorized trip. Hell, I may need a motorized trip pretty soon myself! P.S. Personally I think the NPS is doing a great job managing the GC and they probably don't hear that enough.
water wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013   #9

Flagstaff, Arizona
Hi Water, Thanks for your post. Have you heard about Jumping Mouse and the history of individuals with all kinds of disabilities doing motor-free river trips in Grand Canyon? Not sure CP is a requirement for the use of motorized watercraft in Grand Canyon, but I certainly have no idea of the level of disability your family member has. It is possible that they would be very uncomfortable on Day 2 no matter what type of river journey the would take, and it is possible they would be fine on an oar trip.

It might help to keep in mind that only 30,000 people get to go through Grand Canyon by watercraft each year. At 30,000 folks a year, 1/10 of 1% of the population of the USA will make a Grand Canyon river trip in 100 years. Given the small numbers, one would assume all concessions trips would carry nothing but physically challenged folks.

All the best to you and yours, tom

Ps: Hey Rich, as you serve on the GCPBA Board, sorry my post has upset you.
Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013   #10

Hi Tom,

FYI, since you've continued to maintain your life membership in GCPBA, your original decoder ring is active, and the secret password you issued yourself in 1996 should still be valid.

My advice, put this all behind you, use some different synapses while you're having a good long hike, and stay safe.

Rich Phillips