Rogue River Lottery - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-15-2019   #1

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2011
Rogue River Lottery

Does anyone have any idea why they don't weight the Rogue lottery? I put in year after year and never get anything. Although it doesn't change much for me as I am local and still get down there. One has to think, why not take into account those who have put in for previous years? I have a friend who seems to get one every single year.. Call it dumb luck but I just cant make sense of it.

Programs like this already exist in the State for hunting permits ETC..

Seems like an easy solution to give everyone an equal shot year after year.

Am I wrong?

Ruger9009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2019   #2

Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
Does anyone really know how the drawing is actually conducted? I used to put in all the time and was unsuccessful every time. I still made at least one or two trips a year though via cancellations. I"m thankful the Rogue counts people and not groups like other rivers. This is more work for them but definitely allows more people to get on the water.

The thing that is odd to me is I actually got a successful lottery draw for the Rogue but it was my 2nd choice. Another person in our group was also successful with their 3rd choice. I can't imagine with so many applicants that a 2nd or 3rd or 4th choice would ever get drawn. But I clearly don't know how the process actually executed.

To make the confusion worse, I got an email saying I was successful for my date and number of people. BUT, when I log into rec.gov, it says my Rogue application was unsuccessful. So I don't even know if I have a permit or not?

Maybe I was awarded the permit but then Trump's state of emergency robbed funding for my permit so they are taking it back? IDK????
DRL River Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019   #3

Henderson, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2007
I'm in the same boat. I got an email with the date that says I was successful but says declined on rec.gov. I can't seem to find it now but I believe it works like this, if your application is drawn and one of your dates is available AND the amount of spaces to accommodate your party are available you get a permit but if the date you chose is has 5 spots and you requested 6 they move on to the next application. So it is easier to get permits for small trips. I could be wrong but I believe I read that somewhere before.
Rick A is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2019   #4

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I won and I believe it will say on rec.gov "declined" or something like that until you send in your confirmation ($).
Old 02-15-2019   #5

Henderson, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2007
I just heard back from the BLM if you got the email you got a permit. It is an error with rec.gov and they will not change it even after you confirm it will still say declined.
Rick A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019   #6

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
I can't seem to find it now but I believe it works like, this if your application is drawn and one of your dates is available AND the amount of spaces to accommodate your party are available you get a permit but if the date you chose is has 5 spots and you requested 6 the move on to the next application. So it is easier to get permits for small trips. I could be wrong but I believe I read that somewhere before.
Yes, this is how the Rogue lottery works. 4-rivers works the same way except for the part about group size.
Old 02-15-2019   #7

Treasure Valley, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I have received three emails TODAY telling me I did not win the Rogue Lottery. I got it the first time- but now I am depressed.
NativeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019   #8
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeDiver View Post
I have received three emails TODAY telling me I did not win the Rogue Lottery. I got it the first time- but now I am depressed.
You should read " Lottery Rejection Humor" thread, that someone started, that will make you feel better!

No Rogue for me, neither.
I will still go boating some where though, at least, and have an awesome time doing it! 6 or 8 years of putting in for multiple lottery's every year, and so far I have won, one permit. Still have gone on lots of trips from invites, cancelations, off season, and unpermited, so still won't cry so hard when I strike out as usual.
Old 02-15-2019   #9

I got permits for BOTH of my first 2 attempts, then none for the following 9 years, counting this one. I've been wondering if somebody there thinks I've had my fair share?
KipG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

Central Point, Oregon
We have had limited success as well but because we live so close it doesnít keep us off the river. Itís a bit harder for out of towers but with patients and some flexibility you can make it happen. Itís still way better than all the other systems.

Early season trips can always use the Klamath as a back up plan as length is same and logistics are easy.

We hope all the permit losers have built up enough karma points so the trip invites keep you on the river as much as you want this summer.

If you want to clear the boat ramps fast check to of trailers on our Facebook page.
Whitewater Worthy Equip is offline   Reply With Quote