Rogue River Closure - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-01-2013   #1
Alaskagrown

Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Rogue River Closure

I just read that the Rogue River from Graves Creek down will be closed to all rafting and hiking indefinitely due to severe wild fires on both sides of the river. I was planning a trip down there next month but it looks like plans may have to change. Anyone have any information on when they figure to have it under control enough to re-open the river?

Rogue Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2013   #2

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Warrior View Post
I just read that the Rogue River from Graves Creek down will be closed to all rafting and hiking indefinitely due to severe wild fires on both sides of the river. I was planning a trip down there next month but it looks like plans may have to change. Anyone have any information on when they figure to have it under control enough to re-open the river?
8/7/2013 @11am is my guess. From my experience fires go out when they run out of fuel I have a feeling if you have a permit for next month you'll be alright.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #3

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
Rumor has it that they are boating firefighters down the river to access the fire. The smoke is so thick that it is causing issues with aircraft dropping retardent and water from above. Sounds like the Rogue will look a bit different next time we see it.
Soup76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013   #4

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup76 View Post
Rumor has it that they are boating firefighters down the river to access the fire....(
Guides better be seeing SERIOUS tips from them!
Old 08-02-2013   #5
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by laterwagged View Post
Guides better be seeing SERIOUS tips from them!
In my humble opinion, the guides ought to be tipping the fire fighters.

Tips indeed!
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #6

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Since they cancelled my launch for yesterday I should have had the option to boat firefighters down. I would have been happy to do that.
Joe W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #7

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
Horrific smoke here even if you have a permit you would NOT want to be here. The fire fighters are near Horseshoe bend to keep fire on the southside of the Rogue. They will likely have a burn out when fire lines are in and the wind is right. Awful conditions better today but it will get whose later this week.
rivers2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013   #8

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1982
Fires

I recommend everyone going to the inciweb sight for the most up to date info on the Big Windy Fire. For those whose permits were cancelled because of the fire, I'm guessing they will follow previous protocol and automatically give you permits for the same or similar date next year, without need to go through lottery.

Primary area of the fire is around Dulog and Battle bar. Douglas complex is up near Graves Creek. Most of the efforts thus far have been on structure protection.

On another sad note: if you are Rogue River lover, everyone should check out this video:
Roguemeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013   #9

Creswell, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
I just talked to the Rand forest station. They are hoping they will have the river open in 10 days. Sounds a little optimistic to me as it is 0% contained right now, but I hope they are right.
Ezcruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
We have a permit to launch 8/13. Most likely it will be canceled. Or one of the first trips allowed down. We were told that if it is canceled that we will be guaranteed a permit for next year. So that is correct.
Dahlia is offline   Reply With Quote